Cutting Board...

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

Cutting Board...

Post by lpcsales »

Well, this forum section hasn't had much going on in it recently, so thought I would give it a bump. I recently did this cutting board with VectorClip3D artwork of the rabbit model. I used a commercial cutting board and machined this into the back side of the board (15" x 12").

After machining, I moved it to my Laser Engraver and engraved the design into the wood around the rabbit carving. I used a .0625 Dia. Tapered bit with a step-over of .0063...took about 3 hrs to carve in the Bot, but I had 'no' finishing work after it was done.

As final touch, I coated it with Canola Oil to bring the luster in the wood back up. The carving was .436" deep and shows good depth and detail.

The flip side of the board is your conventional cutting board. When not in use it can be flipped over and displayed in the kitchen.
Attachments
bd-1.jpg
Dave
Epilog 24TT 40w and Legend 36EXT 75w Laser Engravers, Roland SP-300V, BabyLoc PR600 Embroidery Machine, Panther 24" Vinyl Cutter, Mighty Presses (hat & T-Shirt), PRT48 Router

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Dave, looks great, nice job!!
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Looks good but man that's one strange looking dog.

Can you tell I'm from the city?
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Markm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Markm »

The cutting board looks very nice.

One peice of advice use mineral oil for coating the board next time. Olive, veggie, and other food oils will mold and can make you sick. the mineral oil is ok for constumption (I know I have to give a 1/2 to 1 gal to the cows if they get bloat to work like ex-lax)

I use to always use olive oil untill I heard about this

Mark M

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Markm wrote: (I know I have to give a 1/2 to 1 gal to the cows if they get bloat to work like ex-lax)
You know there is such a thing as too much information.... hehe
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Jay, are you bloated?? to much beer?? I know this guy that can help with that problem ... just in case hehehheh
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Nice Work. I have cut3d but havn't played much with it.
about time i do.

lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lpcsales »

Thanks All!

Yes, I was aware of the problem with rancid materials. I read that canola oil was ok. I'll have to check more into this. Btw, only the back side was coated with the Canola oil, but I certainly would like to know for sure what would be best used. Definitely wouldn't want to be labeled a terroist..hehe.

BUT...none of this fun would have been possible without our Vectric team!
Dave
Epilog 24TT 40w and Legend 36EXT 75w Laser Engravers, Roland SP-300V, BabyLoc PR600 Embroidery Machine, Panther 24" Vinyl Cutter, Mighty Presses (hat & T-Shirt), PRT48 Router

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Very nice. :)

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Dave,
This is what I use....note it can be touched up with mineral oil like Mark stated.
It does a nice job of protecting the wood plus it keeps it nice looking.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-b ... y=076-0100

Chuck

lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lpcsales »

Chuck, that's perfect! :D

Thanks a bunch. I'm heading there right now to buy!
Dave

rickw

Post by rickw »

lpcsales
Whatever oil you use on it, i would suggest you do both sides and all edges. Otherwise, it will warp. Plus waterlogged wood dont look good. :)

lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lpcsales »

Thanks Rick,
I've received my 'Salad Bowl finish' this week and I'll see to it that it is applied to both sides, You're very correct, applying a finish to just one side could be a problem.
Dave