I need to modify the line numbering in a Fagor Post

PhilT
Model of CNC Machine: Tree VMC4024, Motionmaster, CandCNC

I need to modify the line numbering in a Fagor Post

Post by PhilT »

I have a post processor problem that I hope one of you can help me with. Recently I purchased a Motionmaster Router w/ the 8050 Fagor controller. The controller is quite powerful and fairly simple to use. However, Fagor has a 10K line limit on programs, whether you DNC or not, and I need a way to get around that. I was able to access the Fagor 8055 post processor in the post processor files and was able to edit it to get it to work properly with my machine but in order to get around the line limit I had to number all the lines the same number (that number is irrelevant as long as it is less than 5 digits). The real problem with that is It would be impossible to restart the program in the middle. The way I see it I need to be able to consecutively number in increments of 1 all the Z clearance moves or the tool changes or every 100th line or some other marker. I don't understand the post well enough to figure out a way to do this. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Phil

BSImages
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home designed and built.

Re: I need to modify the line numbering in a Fagor Post

Post by BSImages »

PhilT wrote:I have a post processor problem that I hope one of you can help me with. Recently I purchased a Motionmaster Router w/ the 8050 Fagor controller. The controller is quite powerful and fairly simple to use. However, Fagor has a 10K line limit on programs, whether you DNC or not, and I need a way to get around that. I was able to access the Fagor 8055 post processor in the post processor files and was able to edit it to get it to work properly with my machine but in order to get around the line limit I had to number all the lines the same number (that number is irrelevant as long as it is less than 5 digits). The real problem with that is It would be impossible to restart the program in the middle. The way I see it I need to be able to consecutively number in increments of 1 all the Z clearance moves or the tool changes or every 100th line or some other marker. I don't understand the post well enough to figure out a way to do this. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Phil
Have you tried to contact MotionMastor or Fagor Automation?

PhilT

Post by PhilT »

Bill,
Thanks for your reply. I have contacted what's left of motionmaster but not about this issue (they are great folks btw). This was my first stop. I don't know enough about post processors to know who writes them and the format is foreign to me. I just figured this was a great place to start.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
PT

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The Post Processors are really easy to modify there's a guide on the help menu with Aspire and VCarve.

You can add line numbering to lines with the [N] command although from what I can see the Fagor PP's with Aspire don't have line numbering at the moment. You can't really number certain lines only though as the line count increments regardless of whether you're outputting it or not so if takes 5000 lines to get to the first place you have an [N] it's going to output 5001 not 1.

It seems a strange way for your control software to operate. I would have though that 9999 lines maximum would be a physical limit rather than going by what the number at the start of the line says.

If it really is a 9999 physical line limit then the tape splitting feature of the post processors might work for you. That splits a large file into chunks that the control software can manage.

PhilT

Post by PhilT »

Adrian,
Thanks for your reply.
I have perused the Vectric PDF on modifying PP and that's where I got the nerve to modify mine. Fagor has a 4 digit limit on the line numbers. There is no limit to the number of lines that can be programmed and run as I was able to run a 12 MB program with 440K lines by numbering them all 1. I was also able to number the lines 1-9999 and then start over again with 1. This pattern repeats every 10K lines and so would be worthless for restarting. I have not looked into tape splitting yet but it seem to me that having line numbers would give me a lot more flexibility in restarting in the middle of a very large program in the event of tool breakage or power loss.
Merry Christmas to You and Yours.
PT

dlgabry
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dlgabry »

The tape splitting feature will result in some number of separate files clipped at the retract line nearest the number of lines that you specify, with a filename suffix of _1, _2, etc. Each file is numbered from 1 to the last line number where it was clipped, and has the commands at the start and end of the file making them cuttable individually. In the postp, you can also specify the start line number, increment, and highest line number.
Dave

PhilT

Post by PhilT »

Thanks Dave,
I will experiment with that.
PhilT