Depth proble

customcnc

Depth proble

Post by customcnc »

I am using stepper motors and this is custom made machine. Does this help.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: Depth proble

Post by metalworkz »

Hello,
I am not sure from the posted information what your question is? Can you re-state the question.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I think it's a reply to this thread - http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12759

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hello,
If Adrian is correct then your previous post asked why the Z was plunging too deep all the sudden. A couple things come to mind that will influence the Z depths, and the first I might think the Z axis was not set to a zero position prior to starting the machine. If you set the Z zero to the top of the material in the Vectric software then you need to also need to make sure each time you position the material on the machine that you set the actual Z zero with the tool mounted in the spindle to the top of the material. Likewise if you use the top of the worktable in the software you need to physically set the Z zero to that position in Mach. I'm sorry for sounding redundant if you already have done this but that is one of the first things that can go wrong, and can be an easy step to overlook when first starting with CNC work.
Also make sure the cut depth for your toolpaths is set to the correct value and the pass depth for the tool being used is set correctly.
Another thing to consider is that Mach2 has been updated to Mach3 and I think this is a free update so you might want to check into getting the newer version to see if it has something to do with Mach itself.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake