Drilling problem on Multicam series 2 router

benno
Model of CNC Machine: flat bed router

Drilling problem on Multicam series 2 router

Post by benno »

I am experiencing problems when I create a drilling tool path and save it in the post processor and then import it as a nc file into Toolpath for windows. When the machine moves to the hole positions, the spindle with hover momentarily and then move onto the next hole position without actually drilling the hole. I can create other tool paths to cut out parts using the same pp and I have o problems.

Basically I do not seem to be able to drill on my machine. It's becoming very frustrating!

I would really appreciate any advice on sorting out this issue.

Thanks in advance, Benno

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Re: Drilling problem on Multicam series 2 router

Post by zeeway »

Hope this doesn't sound insulting...but did you tell the software how deep you wanted to drill the holes?...and did you zero the toolbit z axis consistently with where you told the software it would be zeroed?

Angie

benno

Post by benno »

Yes I did tell the software what depth I wanted the holes. And I did zero the tool at the top of the material.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help :)

Rick O.
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC router

Post by Rick O. »

Something to try, as part of diagnosing the problem:

Make a very simple design, that does nothing other than drilling one hole. Save it as a toolpath, and see if it works.

If not, examine the actual gcode, and see if the Z axis shows movement to the depth that you specified. You might also then post the toolpath and/or gcode files here or on the Multicam forum.
RickO

benno

Post by benno »

Thanks for your reply. I will try a single hole and look at the gcode as you suggested and let you know the result.

Thanks

benno

Post by benno »

Hi,

I have done a test drilling tool path. And I had a look at the code and the z had a -4mm in the code which is what I set it to in the software.

It still will not work!

Is there something in tp windows setup that I can play around with the M code settings?

It appears that the drilling function is switched off.

Thanks

Benno

StuartC
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY built

Post by StuartC »

Something to try...use a tool (or set it up so software wise) that it is a tiny bit smaller than the hole to be drilled. Hope this helps.

benno

Post by benno »

Hi guys.

In the end I contacted Multicam and they came up and installed a newer version of the tp for windows. I had already spoken to another guy with the same machine and he had no issues using the older version.

Anyway to cut a long story short, when we ran the rdy file we had the same problem!

He took the flash card out, blew on it and the socket that houses it. We ran the file again and hey presto the machine will now drill holes! A costly exercise.

So if anyone ever experiences the same problem, try taking out the flash card.

Cheers