Need software choose advice and workf- just for profesionals

lukasa

Need software choose advice and workf- just for profesionals

Post by lukasa »

Hi! (sorry for my english)

My problem is complicated I think :(

So Im looking for software to design in 3d some stuff , technically similar to this:
...pieces slids inside other flat pieces from playwood, but more complex than this dino, with subtracted "holes"
and then "drop" each flat piece on 2d sheet to get a polylines curves from countur edges to cut it out.

Hope I explain it enought :P

..if not: I was using a lot of 3d softwares like Hexagon, Silo , 3dmax, Autocad etc. but on all of them I couldn't get a perfect parallel "drop" of each element.
After I positioned it in 3d space and substract with others elements, I can't get a parallel "drop" it - with I need to put in VcarvePro to cut out.

Sketchup has a nice "aplly view to surface" where camera moves parallel to choosen surface - then I can take the countour from it -
but still its hard to keep all dimensions.

Please some advices.
Love creativity - but hate, when imagination is slaved by software (or my handicaps in using it)
Cheers lucas

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Re: Need software choose advice and workf- just for profesionals

Post by zeeway »

I do not think that any of the design programs can model a design from a photograph and have the accuracy you need to ensure the slots will be the exact size you need for the actual model to come together. Instead you have to go through the design and adjust the slots based on the thickness of the material you will be using - plus a clearance amount. V Carve Pro can certainly be used in that way.

There are many such designs available on the web - but all would have to be adjusted unless you are using the exact thickness of material they were designed for.

Angie

lukasa

Post by lukasa »

Thanks for reply
I do not want software to design from pictures - I think there is no program to do that , too.
Basiclly I'm looking for some workflow, way to project 3d and then get all projections for each element.
It's looks like I have to learn Autocad more and do it from there.

I can do "slots" when lenght of them is easy to set - lets say 2 pieces slides each other in half,
but in my complex projects I'm looking for some more precision work.

It doesn't have to be perfect match in 0,01 mm precision, it just need to be fast to design with substract option.
All material used gona be same thick ,so later on (in 2d) I can easly change width of slots.

I share when Ill find the best way.

Greetings

moto633
Vectric Wizard

Post by moto633 »

Hello Lucas,

Can you post a picture of what it is you are trying to accomplish so we can have a better idea of how to help?

Maybe one of your designs?

Thanks,
Nick

kzeyus
Vectric Wizard

Post by kzeyus »

I think you need to get in touch with Fabrice

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fabrun/
Ken Zey
Rogers, AR
http://www.CedarSlabSigns.com
http://www.lookoutmercantile.com
Shopbot PRS Alpha 72x144

lukasa

Post by lukasa »

moto633

I don't have specific project or conception - I mean I have too many of them , but all are based on one vision -with is same like in "kzeyus" upper link.

I have some concepts (furnitures, toys etc) and Im just looking for best, easiest software to made my visions true.

The mayor problem in all cads i went thru is there is no easy way to drop view of each element to get lines of it egdes - parallel to its surface.

Im feel like my english is to bad to explain that :P

kzeyus

- its exacly what im planning - but I need to design it by myself, and design it with all necessary constructions like bolts and srew holes.

Thank You
Lucas

ps. so far I found SOLID EDGE helpfull and SKETCHUP - will see when I learn how to use it properly.