This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Importing a Cut File?

Post by TReischl »

Is it possible to import a .crv file?

An example of what I want to do is:

I have a small ornament that is to be raised from the surrounding area. This ornament is to be used on multiple jobs.

It would be nice to be able to bring in that ornament, have the cutting sequence 'predefined', then do the rest of the cutting around it. I suppose you could think of it as a subroutine that actually defines a shape to be cut.

A little more information. The ornament is raised on a fairly large background that gets other things done to it. To achieve the detail it is necessary to use a small end mill around the ornament to remove material. But using the small end mill for the entire surface would be time consuming. So what I did is create a small pocket around the ornament that I use to remove the material in narrow areas. Then I can come back with a much larger cutter to do the rest of the relief work.

So, by being able to load in a .crv file which contains the cutting instructions for the pocket, I can skip having to set it up each time I cut that ornament. If the ornament needs to be deeper or shallower, I can just adjust the depths very quickly.

I have looked at the FAQ, dug around in the forums, checked out all the menu items. No luck.

Anyone have any ideas?[/img]
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Interesting requirement but this is not possible in VCarve Pro.

One for the 'Wish List'.

Tony
Last edited by Tony Mac on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Thanks Tony. If there is one thing I appreciate, it is a straight forward, honest answer.

If this item does make the 'wish list' a thought might be to add an ability to group like cutters with like depths. In other words, after 'carve subroutines' are added, a command button could be clicked that will group similar cuts together or even merge the cuts.

An example would be a detail that is first cut with a v-tool, then the area around it is cleared to a depth by a small end mill. If this item is added multiple times, the software could say, hmmmm, let me get all the vcarve motions with this tool, lump them together, then get all the end mill moves and lump them together. That would elimate manually restructuring the cuts to avoid unnecessary tool changes, etc.

Having written CAM software for 25 years I know this is a pretty serious undertaking, but something to think about.

Your programming plate must be pretty full by now.

Once again, thanks for the fast response!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns