Which Post Processor for ShopBot PRSalpha BT32

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
Antti
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSalpha BT32

Which Post Processor for ShopBot PRSalpha BT32

Post by Antti »

Hi, I just purchased ShopBot PRSalpha BT32 and Aspire V3. I will soon have a job, which requires use of several tool bits meaning manual tool change during the job. As I unerstand, this work should be possible to run with single "sbp" file using ShopBot manual tool change capability (program will stop and ask for tool change). I wasn't sure about the correct post processor file, which supports PRSalpha and manual tool change. With the router I received PartWorks (Vcarve Pro) program, which included post processor file named "ShopBot_TC_MM.pp" could this be the correct one?

Regards, Antti

Donmaceloco

Re: Which Post Processor for ShopBot PRSalpha BT32

Post by Donmaceloco »

I Own a ShopBot PRS Alpha, and i use MM as measure units, so... when i have several toolpaths that need different bits, what i do is, save every toolpath in a file, lets say, i have a rough pass toolpath with a 1/2 Flat Nose Bit, a V-Bit carve toolpath with a 1" 60 degree V-Bit, and a cut out toolpath with a 1/4 Flat Nose Bit, i save the 3 toolpaths, a file per toolpath, i run my first file, and when the shopbot finishes, it goes back to my X,Y zero point (automatically), then i change the bit, and use the Z-zero Plate to have my z-zero where i want, and run the next toolpath, and again, when it finishes, it goes back to X,Y zero, and i change my bit,use z-zero plate again, and run the next toolpath, and so on, it sounds like a lot of work, but you only take like 1 minute or less changing bits and re-zeroing.

It works for me, the automatic stop for tool change SBP does the same.

Hope It Helps, and excuse me for my english, im from Mexico

Antti

Post by Antti »

Hi Donmaceloco,

Greetings from Finland (other side of the world). Thanks for this tip - I will try this method aswell. I am also working in MM (millimeters) so I think we could use the same post processor file - which post processor are You using with Your machine?
Regards, Antti

Donmaceloco

Post by Donmaceloco »

Give it a try, i use a lot of bit changing files, but i dont use a bit changing postp. i simply run a toolpath and change the bit and run de next one

Im Using ShopBot (Arcs)(MM)(*.SBP)

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Antti,

The post processor you need was installed with V3 and from the post processor pull-down list when saving a toolpath it should read "Shopbot(mm)(Toolchange)w/speed(*.sbp)".

If you use File>Open Application Data Folder and select the postp folder you will find all the available ShopBot post processors. The one highlighted in the picture below will do what you are looking for and if you open it with a text editor you will see it's name in quotes which is what shows in the list.

Tim
Attachments
ShopBot MTC.JPG

Antti

Post by Antti »

Thank You very much Donmaceloco :)

I will try this method also.
Kindly Yours, Antti

Antti

Post by Antti »

Hi Tim,

Thanks! This post processor was not installed with Aspire V3, but it was installed with PartWorks (eq. Vcrave). I copied this file to Aspire PosP-folder and then it was visible in the Aspire post procesor list aswell. I will try both methods Donmaceloco's separate sbp-file and ShopBot "Manual Tool Change" single sbp-file method processed with this post processor. Do You happened to know if this "TOOLCHANGE" processor has the same capabilities as the "ARC" processor regarding arc accuracy etc.?
Regards, Antti

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Yes, it supports Arcs. It's in the file name on disk, but not the one that shows to keep it short. Plus, if you open the post processor with a text editor you will see the ARC command.

Personally I still use individual cut files, but it is a personal choice. I would recommend you create a small, simple test project with 2 to 4 toolpaths with different bits and give it a test run with scrap wood before trying it on good material. I know others are using it without problem, but always good to be comfortable.

Tim

Antti

Post by Antti »

Thanks Tim and Donmaceloco,

This is a great forum to have valuable advise and help. I am really grateful.
I think this case is closed - looking forward to have another interesting case (never a problem) :)
Regards, Antti