A new guy question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
GripUs
Vectric Wizard

A new guy question

Post by GripUs »

I have been using my Techno-Isel CNC router to make pistol grips for about two years and thought that making a few signs would keep the machine busy when I wasn't cutting grips. I am impressed with the ease of use of VCarvePro, but if ignorance is bliss I am the happiest guy using it. I managed to create the tool paths for my first sign (my company logo) but would like the preview to fill the part of the sign NOT routered as that is how it will look when I finish it. I plan to paint first, then cut. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks,

Joe
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I'm not clear on what you are asking. In preview you can change the material and the fill color. What are you trying to do that can't be accomplished by changing these two variables?

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Yes you can.
Adding Custom Materials Additional materials can be added to the library list by simply copying a image file (JPG, BMP or TIF) of the material or image you wish to render the job with into the folder,
/Program files/VCarve Wizard/Textures/1_Wood etc.

A custom folder that includes shading materials can also ne added by simply creating a folder in the Textures folder as shown below.

/Program files/VCarve Wizard/Textures/5_My_Shading_Textures

Notes VCarve Wizard must be restarted when new materials are added.

Shading textures can be obtained from sources such as the internet, clipart libraries or simply create your own from a digital or scanned photographs. For good quality results the image needs to be approximately 1000 pixels x 1000 pixels.

The texture image is simply scaled proportionally in X & Y to fit the longest side of the job
I hope this helps
Dan

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

Thanks Phil and Dan...
When I look at the preview, the tool paths are shown in the fill color (in this case a dark blue) and the letters appear as oak. I plan on painting the material and then cutting the sign so, in reality, the background will be oak and the letters will be dark blue. In the preview, I want the blue and the oak reversed.

Thanks for your replies

Joe

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

Joe I also have a techno and would love to see some of your grip work, how about sharing a photo or two for inspiration.

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

You can see a lot of my stuff at http://www.gripus.com/ . Right now I just cut out the grips with the machine and finish them by hand. All of my inlays I do with a laser...cutting the holes and the insert. Up until now my CNC machine has seen only simple usage. I have a Roland 3D scanner to produce DXF files for grips I have never cut before. I have some bits ordered which should be here next week and I hope to make my first sign. We also make pet cremation urns and are looking into pet caskets. The machine and VCP will allow me to do wonderful things on the sides and lids.

I will keep you posted.

Joe

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

Thanks for sharing the link to your page. I love the detail, beautiful stuff.

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Joe, Welcome to the forum.
I checked out your website...nice work...I can't wait to see your signs.
keep us posted on your work...if you need any help with the preview image's let us know.

Chuck

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Joe,

There is no way currently of getting the machined away part to have a wood texture, if you are using the 'texture' bitmap to give a colour to the unmachined parts of the blank. Currently we only support 1 texture bitmap and a colour to represent the machined areas.

You can 'PhotoShop' this 'fairly' easily by merging two images of the piece, one shaded with the surface colour and one with the plain wood. However, this is obviously a lot more work than just being able to create an image the other way round in VCarve.

Sorry

Brian

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

Yep, somtimes you gotta reach into the toolbox for a different tool, Photoshop is what I used to get two fills on this preview.
Attachments
beagle-ranch.jpg

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Being in the grip buiness this may or may not be of any use later on down the road.
But just in case.....the file is a 3ds

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

Thanks for all the help, folks. And thanks for the pistol. I currently use a pistol for the "r" in my GripUs logo, but this one might just work a lot better!

Joe