Rest Machining!!!

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Jugster

Rest Machining!!!

Post by Jugster »

Hey guys I am new to this forum. I wanted to ask a question before I purchased aspire. Currently I use a program called Alibre Cam(Visual Mill) it runs internally insided my cad software which limits its capability to import certain file types, mainly stls. I do alot of 3d contouring with it various metal(toolmaker by trade) at work. I just finished builiding a cnc router and have it my shop. I want to step up to a more art related software and do some 3d relief drawings and then be able to machine them. I watched the tutorial about redefining vectors and creating another toolpass to only work in the areas that your larger cutter get. Currently all that I have to do in my other software is change the tool and select re-roughing and it only machines the areas where the larger cutter didn't. My question is how long does it take you all to do this in aspire and I'm I making this harder than it really is because of my lack of knowledge with the software. I already have serveral thousand dollars worth of software and I just want to make sure before I purchase. I love all of the features in the software and this seems to be the only thing that is keeping me from purchasing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Re: Rest Machining!!!

Post by Greolt »

Unfortunately Aspire does not do "rest" machining as you are accustomed to doing in Visual Mill and other CAM programs.

However there are some techniques, which although they are quite involved, can achieve this to a degree.

They are shown in a video called, C21-rest-machining-grapes.wmv

This video is included on the disc when the program has been purchased but I don't know if is available for download from the website.

It is about 24MB. Maybe you could ask support if they would make it available for you to download.

Greg

Jugster

Post by Jugster »

I saw the video after emailing support. I thought it was pretty involved myself. Of course I am not use to working with vectors either, this is going to be another learning curve for me. Does anyone know if they plan on incorporating this in the near future?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's one of those things that looks complex the first time you see it but it's really simple and once you've done it a couple of times it's second nature and incredibly easy to do.

Same thing with vectors. Once you've learnt the tools it's all very easy.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

I would recommend you download the trial version and work a few examples with the rest machining process. You wouldn't be able to save cut files, but the on-screen toolpath preview would be enough to answer your questions. This applies to using vectors and other features as well, and includes access to 45 training videos and documents.

The link to download the trial version is here:

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... oducts.htm

The link for the first of 3 pages of tutorials starts here:

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... als_v3.htm

If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your decision.

Tim

Jugster

Post by Jugster »

I will work with the demo today and see what I can come up with. If its as simple as you say it then looks like you have been about talked me into. Thanks and I appreciate the help