Tackle Shop dimensional sign in the works...

The Gallery is for posting images of work machined using Cut3D
lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

Tackle Shop dimensional sign in the works...

Post by lpcsales »

The wife and I have decided to make a dimensional sign for a ficticious tackle shop. The goal here is to have a sample for showing, and also find ways to make the process easy, doable and fast.

I needed 3D model of a fish so I purchased one from VectorArt3D. It was just what I was looking for. I'll machine the fish separately from 1" thick sign foam and attach it to the sign which will be made from 3/4" birch plywood. I've started the machining of the fish (pic below shows it nearing completion) and then will carve the sign base.

THe wife will airbrush the fish...and probably end up painting the sign too.

Will show the finished results when it gets done.
Attachments
Image004.JPG
Last edited by lpcsales on Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
Epilog 24TT 40w and Legend 36EXT 75w Laser Engravers, Roland SP-300V, BabyLoc PR600 Embroidery Machine, Panther 24" Vinyl Cutter, Mighty Presses (hat & T-Shirt), PRT48 Router

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Looks good so far. I would think that foam board would cut pretty fast? What bits are you using?
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lpcsales »

Thanks.. Yes, the signfoam is GREAT for routing. You can literally PLOW through this stuff.

I used 1/2" Ball nose for the rough cut and a 1/8" ball nose for the finish cut, .0225 stepover at 6ips feed. Cut3D said it would take 52 minutes total to do...it actually ended up taking 1-1/2 hrs.....still not bad.

The fish measures 11.68"w x 9.4"h.
Dave
Epilog 24TT 40w and Legend 36EXT 75w Laser Engravers, Roland SP-300V, BabyLoc PR600 Embroidery Machine, Panther 24" Vinyl Cutter, Mighty Presses (hat & T-Shirt), PRT48 Router

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

I've used Signex which a brand of sign foam available here.
Cuts clean and fast however Very expensive and also needs to be well supported and clamped when profiling many objects as the webbing is moderately flexible an air powered wire nailer works well about now :)
I have used this with sign vinyl but never paint.
Thanks for the advice on the primer.
Regards
Bart

lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lpcsales »

Ok..it's progressing. The fish has been cut and 1 coat of primer on it....more coats to follow and then sanding.

The sign base has been cut from the birch plywood and also been primed with one coat. I really hate plywood :twisted: ...I ran into 2 knotholes hidden in the core, so they have one layer of wood putty in them so far. More coats and then sanding.

The pics below show the 2 brought together...not permanently yet, just laying there for fitting.

....and it continues on....
Dave

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

That turned out really cool looking. Nice Job
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Very nice.

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Post by Wemme »

Very nice can't wait to see the finial paint job.
Regards
Bart

Markm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Markm »

Very nice 3d looks so much cooler. Nice work looking forward to seeing your wifes paint job

Mark M

lpcsales
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lpcsales »

..an update on the sign.....

Peg finished up the airbrushing of the sign yesterday, all except for a few little touchups to go. The fish is now permanently atttached to the substrate and after the final touchup I'll apply several coats of gloss clear coating ...and that should be it.

I think Peg did a great job on the painting...especially that rainbow trout.... looks almost real. Good job girl! :D

I've uploaded a Pic of the sign sitting at the airbrush station below in its current state.
Attachments
PICT0006-A.JPG
Dave

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

WOW!
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

That looks amazing. Please compliment Peg "The artist" on a great paint job. Thanks for sharing the images.
Regards,
James

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

Excellent work, love the trout. Now where did I put my tackle box.

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Very nice yet simple!

Keep up the good work!

dman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dman »

Excellent work on both the design and finishing. The fish does indeed look real. I wish I could airbush something half that good. Keep up the excellent work.