This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Anyone build a 3d probe?

Post by Kimon »

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Yes Graham assisted me when I decided to built mine. I made mine larger but I believe (and Graham too) that I have made the tripod rod assembly easier and made all on the mill (router in my case).

Here some shots...

I'm not 100% proud of it's look but it does work nicely. The only three problem I can think of in a matter of importance is that I have a continuity problem with it but I made the probing routine so it wait in case of any problem. Next is the current size of the tip; but it actually match the tool bits I have so I don't really need more details. Then come it's size but so far this hasn't create any problem in fact.

In overall, for about 15-20 dollars spent (on material and hardware) I think I have something great to have fun with. I haven't used it for professional purposes.
Attachments
HPIM2024_r.JPG
HPIM2020_r.JPG
15_dollar_probe.jpg

Jonmilligan

Tool dept5h sensor?

Post by Jonmilligan »

:?: Hi guys, my electronics knowledge fits on the tip of a ball end cutter, but could you use the 3D probe as a tool depth sensor and integrate it into the machine system?
Regards
John Milligan

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Re: Tool dept5h sensor?

Post by Wemme »

Hi John.
Depends what you mean by integrate into the machine system?

The Shopbot has code to scan an object in using a probe (bought or built).
It saves it as native shopbot code (.sbp?) From memory Cut3D now imports Shopbot code as well.
This sounds like a semi convenient Scan and cut. Has anyone ever tried this combo?
Regards
Bart

Jonmilligan wrote::?: Hi guys, my electronics knowledge fits on the tip of a ball end cutter, but could you use the 3D probe as a tool depth sensor and integrate it into the machine system?
Regards
John Milligan

lockeyone
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: other software 50-50 router, Mach3, Epilog 60W

Post by lockeyone »

I think he means a tool touch off sensor and yes it will. I have a touch probe from Flashcut, came with my router I purchased this summer. I can convert from tool touch off to probing. Kinda neat. Your machine control software has to support it.