Inkscape to VCarve

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Monte55
Vectric Craftsman

Inkscape to VCarve

Post by Monte55 »

I am having problems taking something I scanned and saving it in Inkscape (as EPS) and going to VCarve Pro and importing that same file. Here is the error message I get: "Failed to import Vector data from EPS/AI/PDF file...The file probably contains only bitmap data" Is this saying I must save all of the text on this project to one file and the outline of an image, in my case, the outline of a Chow Chow on another file"
Any help you can give is appreciated.

Monte55
I'm a tool lovin fool.

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

I could be wrong, but I think I know whats happening. When you do the tracing, inkscape places the trace right ontop of the original bitmap. What I do is once I do the trace, I grab it and move it out of the way, and then delete the original. Then I save just the trace as a EPS. I hope this helps?

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

Monte55
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Monte55 »

Jason,
I just downloaded Inkscape yesterday so I am totally not famiiar with the program but I did not physically trace anything. Are you saying, in the program I should have used a "trace" to what I was doing? I only scanned the item (in this case, a sign) and pulled it up in Inkscape and saved it as an EPS file. I have read in detail some notes on Inkscape by someone who published their own manuel of sorts and don't have any actual step by step actions. I am trying to figure it out as I go. I have heard some really good things about Inkscape so I thought it would be a perfect solution. VCarve has been very user friendly but I wanted to be able to scan something and apply it in VCarve (like a customer's logo if need be).

Thanks again,
Monte55
I'm a tool lovin fool.

bryson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS 48 X 96 Aspire

Post by bryson »

Monte 55, You saved an EPS but it is still a bitmap. You need to click on "Path" then "Trace bitmap. Then you can export as a vector EPs.

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Check out the how-to section http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... how_to.htm about 3/4's the way down there's a how to on Inkscape that I think will help you out.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Monte55
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Monte55 »

Thanks..................I didn't even know that was in V Carve............
I'm a tool lovin fool.