My first project with Aspire

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
LT985

My first project with Aspire

Post by LT985 »

Here is my first project with Aspire. It didn't take but about 15 mins to create the toolpaths. I've done many plain Cribbage boards with Vcarve, but I can't wait to start using my own models. If anyone wants to try just use a 0.125 circle on 0.25 centers draw 3 of them then use the "copy along vector" and then use "number of copies" set to 151 then delete every 6th hole with a group of 3 to start and 1 to finish. That easy...

bclark

Re: My frist project with Aspire

Post by bclark »

LT,
Very nice.
The wife wants on just like this one.
Thanks
Brian

johnnydoughey
Vectric Craftsman

Post by johnnydoughey »

Nice piece! What kind of wood is that?

LT985

Post by LT985 »

It's big leaf maple. Was given to me in log form and slabbed out with my wood mizer. A year of air drying and trip through the planer there it is. I taped the top off before I cut it and then used walnut stain pulled the tape off and put couple coats of poly on it.

crocky
Vectric Craftsman

Post by crocky »

Very nice :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Bob
Aspire, VCarve Pro, PhotoVCarve
Blog: http://www.ocm.com.au/wordpress/

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Great looking work! The 2 shades give it a good contrast.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

sunshinejim
Vectric Craftsman

Post by sunshinejim »

That is a beautiful crib board. Would you consider sharing the hole layout toolpath - I have tried but am missing something.

LT985

Post by LT985 »

Crib boards are easy. I start with my center piece make a vector around it. Use the offset vector button and make 1 vector at 1" and a second at 2" from your outline of your center piece. The middle vector is what you use for the holes and the outside one is for the profile cutout. Now in the corner draw a straight vertical line vector, put a 0.125 circle at one end. Then use the "Copy Along Vectors" button.

Then delete all the extra circles and the vertical line. Select all three circles and use the "Group selected Vectors" button to group them. Then select the three holes and the middle oval vector and use the "Copy object along vectors" button. Select "Number of Copys" and set to 151.

Then delete ever 6th set of holes, I allways leave 3 sets for the start and 1 center hole for the finish. You will have to ungroup the finish set of three to delete the outside 2 holes. I'm not happy with this board, I should have moved the start to the middle of one side. This method you can lay a crib board in about 10 mins. But if you just want to use mine here is the layout for the holes.
Attachments
hole layout.crv3d
(276.5 KiB) Downloaded 1205 times

johnnydoughey
Vectric Craftsman

Post by johnnydoughey »

Nice explanation, LT...

I have a question, though.

Just how long did it take you before this became "easy" :mrgreen:

LT985

Post by LT985 »

I have a lot of friends that play crib. I have made crib boards in every shape you can think of. I've use Vcrave for a while and have made over a dozen boards. Aspire gives me a chance to put 3D centers in them. My most popular crib board has a round track and is 26" inches acrossed and the holes are drilled with a 0.25" bit and pegs are hand turnned on my lathe. Trust me, I've made crib boards with other software and Aspire makes it "EASY". If I have time later I'll upload the preview JPG's to give you some ideas. I'll start a new thread named "Cribbage Boards".

Bert
Model of CNC Machine: K23925

Post by Bert »

A very nice description of the layout process. I think you have it exactly right. It gets even better with VCarve/Aspire for customized boards: with a few clicks I/we can do individual spacing. One customer, for example, complained that her fingers were too stubby for the spacing, .25". It was so easy to give her a sample board with .25, .375 and .5 inch spacings and let her choose. The spacing, of course defines the size of the board as a whole. Anybody for a coffee table crib board?

sunshinejim
Vectric Craftsman

Post by sunshinejim »

LT

Thank you for taking the time to give the full explanation - It really does make it easy.

Thanks again,

rocabig

Post by rocabig »

silly question time

what do you use for the pegs and where do you get them

Richard

Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home made revision 3

Post by Len-Tikular »

LT985 wrote:Crib boards are easy. I start with my center piece make a vector around it. Use the offset vector button and make 1 vector at 1" and a second at 2" from your outline of your center piece. The middle vector is what you use for the holes and the outside one is for the profile cutout. Now in the corner draw a straight vertical line vector, put a 0.125 circle at one end. Then use the "Copy Along Vectors" button.

Then delete all the extra circles and the vertical line. Select all three circles and use the "Group selected Vectors" button to group them. Then select the three holes and the middle oval vector and use the "Copy object along vectors" button. Select "Number of Copys" and set to 151.

Then delete ever 6th set of holes, I allways leave 3 sets for the start and 1 center hole for the finish. You will have to ungroup the finish set of three to delete the outside 2 holes. I'm not happy with this board, I should have moved the start to the middle of one side. This method you can lay a crib board in about 10 mins. But if you just want to use mine here is the layout for the holes.
I have Vcarve pro 5.5 but I cant open or import the hole layout.
Can it only be opened with Aspire ?

THanks

Len
Len-Tikular (A glider pilots dream cloud)

Aspire 10.5
Mach4 Hobby
Ess Smoothstepper + C11g+C10s

LT985

Post by LT985 »

I have done a video, it is all done in real time with no editting. The video takes 5 mins to layout the holes, the video was done for someone else that didn't have aspire so it was done in Vcarve. Hope this helps, if it doesn't feel free to Private Message me or contact me direct at LT985@hotmail.com

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd32 ... ibbage.flv