Project setup/design suggestions

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Project setup/design suggestions

Post by Rusty »

Howdy all:

I have a project where I have to make 36 name tags (on one sheet). All will be the same size, all will have the same design/shape, but each tag will have different lettering.
What is the best way to setup/design this project.
Should I do it all in VCarve, or should I draw it all in CorelDraw, or should I draw the tags in a cad program then add the text in VCarve?
I welcome any comments.
Thanks all.

Rusty

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Peter Stenabaugh »

If your geometry is simple, then do it all in Vcarve. Once you have the first one finished, then group all the vectors so you can then copy it easily. Make all the copies you need, by using the Ctrl C to copy and Ctrl V to paste them. Once you have them roughly in place, then you can use Vcarve to align the rows vertically and horizontally. With this done, select them all at one time, and ungroup the vectors. Now you can go to each one and change the text.

With all the text changed, select all the similar vectors using Shift and click, and then group the similar vectors, such as all the text, all the outer borders, etc. This makes it easier to select all the required vectors for setting up the vcarving or the profiling etc. If you need to redo something, then it is only one pick to select, say all the text at once time, rather then 36 picks to select all the text.

If your geometry is complex it may be easier to draw it in your cad program and import it as a dxf file, then group the vectors as mentioned above. The text is best inserted in Vcarve.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Post by Rusty »

Thanks Pete:
I am trying your suggestion right now.
I also was at the Calgary Woodworking show last Sunday. Was that you with the handfulls of bits. Should have gone on Saturday when the selection was better. Good prices at Elite.
Later.
Rusty

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Peter Stenabaugh »

Ya quite likely I came home with about a dozen cutters, there sure were some great deals to be had. I sure hope I dont miss it next year.....

Let me know how you make out. If you need me, I can help out with your cad file, and copy and array it also.

Pete