Perry
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Modified Shopbot PRT96

Post by Perry »

Tis why we are all here... to help or to be helped :wink:

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Peter Stenabaugh »

Hey all, on a similar but different note, I have also been searching for a source of veneered mdf. It seems as though nobody make this stuff as a stock item. In the event that others of you have been searching for local sources, this is what I did.....

I started out today, checking the yellow pages for companies that sold veneer, hoping that they might make custom veneered panels. Well I found a local place that sells veneer, about 8 block from work, so I went over at lunch time to see them. It turns out they only sell large quantities, like a whole tree etc, well that was a bit much for me, plus they only sold, not made veneer stuff. I asked them who might make veneered materials locally and they gave me 2 names for starters.

It turns out that both companies that make up veneered panels are within less than 5 minutes from work, and one only 5 minutes from home.

I called the closest to home place, it was a company that is listed in the yellow pages under 'cabinets'. They make custom veneered panels for themselves and other people, plus they make custom cabinets and doors. The doors they make, for example a french door, is made from 3/4" mdf, and they glue veneer to it, then they cut out the parts they need on a cnc router. As it turns out they will sell me the cutouts which I think are about 12 to 18" wide and about 4 or 5 feet long, or they will make me up custom full sheets if I wish. Using the cutouts would be perfect for making up some custom signs and other cnc routed projects, and the price is really cheap, and the source is really close. I will pick some stuff up on Saturday.

So for anyone looking for a source of veneered mdf, do the same type of searching that I did, and you will most likely find a source like me, or at the very least, find a place that will make up a veneered panel for you.

AngelicDiablo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot BT48 Standard

Post by AngelicDiablo »

Peter, maybe we can just buy from you :) -AD :twisted:
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car! :-)

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

That's a good thought, but the shipping would kill ya.

Just imagine, shipping by dogsled until we run outta snow, then off loading onto a truck.......na not a good idea......lmao....

You probably have lots of sources in the US, just check out some custom cabinet making shops, you may be surprised, just like me, at how close some of these things can be.

Good luck.

Pete

Perry
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Modified Shopbot PRT96

Post by Perry »

I haven't looked out the igloo door in some time Peter. Is it really time for us to hitch up the huskies again :wink:
Better than snowshoing it to the border. hahahaha

Just like when Peter was trying to find the Spectra, finding local is always best. (unless it is FREE!!)

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Ya Perry, we had a couple of inches of snow last Sunday, and yesterday alone, Sunshine ski hill got 47 cm of snow. another 30 cm and they will open the hill, not that I care as I dont ski. Anyway we have a couple of past days at -15C but on Sunday and Monday they are forcasting up to +18C or so. We get some really crazy weather here in Calgary due to the proximity of the mountains (40 Km).

Later,

Pete

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Ok, today, I visited the local woodworking show here in Calgary, and I came home still drooling, and a few bucks poorer. The main reason I went there was to source out new suppliers & look for some sort of sharpening device for my V bits. Well I accomplished both, so I will pass on a bit of information for the rest of you.

First off, new suppliers (to me anyway).

I found a new supplier of router bits, based out of the Montreal area. They do the bulk of their business on line, so here is their web address: www.elitetools.ca. I purchase a few cutters from them at the show, as they had some killer show prices. What I found from them that are good prices are 90 degree vbits, 1/2" diameter, and they sell on line for $9.99 Canadian. These were at the show for $5, so I could not turn them down, and I came home with 4.

They also had some 60 degree vbits, same price, 3/4" diameter with 5/8" cutting depth - got some of those babies also for $5.

The 90 degree cutters come with bearings on them, but they are removable, as there is a stop collar on them, the 60 degree are fine the way they are.

This company has a ton of cutters for woodworking, and now with the ability to use shaped cutters in Vcarve, there are many we could use.

They also had some upcut spiral cutters, but they were no big special deal, I think I would still go to MLCS for those cutters.

I also found another cool supplier (local in Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto) called Engravers Express www.engraversexpress.com.

These guys have a ton of supplies for the laser engraving and rotary engraving people like us. They also stock a really good selection of engraving materials, such as the layer plastic (we have been quoting Polycarve) but it is available from other suppliers and manufacturers also under different names. They carry materials from Rowmark, Innovative Plastics, and Encore engraving plastic in both rotary and laser types of materials. Their standard sheet size appears to be 24" x 48" for most materials. Ask them to mail you a copy of their 'Product Catalogue #5' it has all this stuff in it.

As far as being able to sharpen router cutters, I found a company called Trend. Their web site is www.trendmachinery.co.uk. They sell diamond sharpening equipment. They have a large selection of tools depending upon your needs, but for me I wanted something to sharpen Vbits. I ended up with one of their 'credit card' diamond router sharpening tools. With this tool you need some of their diamond lapping oil, dont use WD-40 or other light oil, this sharpener will not work with those products, use the correct lapping oil. I paid $35 Cdn for the lapping stone (card). It has a fine side and a coarse side. Use the fine side for carbide and the coarse for tool steel.

They have various distributors for their products, so send them an email at enquiry@trendm.co.uk to find out where your closest distributor will be.

Well that's the best of the show, now I have about 10 pounds of brochures to read over...........

Later all,

Pete

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Hi all
Great Lakes MDF sent me four 12" by 12" samples this past summer. I liked the product and went to order a 4' by 8' sheet from my local lumber yard. After weeks of trying we gave up. Friday I received a email from Great lakes MDF asking me if I’m using their MDF and do I need more samples. I plan on telling them they have a good product but it is impossible to get. If anybody has had a similar experience I would be glad to add it in my email.
Dan

harryball
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT Alpha

Post by harryball »

Same story, like the product, saw it at the IWF, brought home a sample, got a box of samples... can not buy locally... and I'm in Atlanta.

Robert
Robert
http://www.habitatforbats.org
Give a Bat a Home!

kevinl
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kevinl »

I talked to great lakes mdf this past week. They are going to send me some samples, and also gave me the name of two suppliers in my area. I plan to try the samples before I contact the suppliers about availability.

Kevin

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I received some samples form the good people at Great Lakes MDF. They were too small to do anything with. Much smaller than 12" x 12".

AngelicDiablo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot BT48 Standard

Post by AngelicDiablo »

Now they just send out basically a color pack to show you what they sell. Like 2x3" each. -AD :twisted:
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car! :-)