Open vectors

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Open vectors

Post by Bob Reda »

I need to carve some what the program calls oopen vectors. Apparently vcarve does not toolpath open vectors or does it? Maybe I am not aware of it. These open vectors are a very important part of this carving. How does one go about getting around this? Also, when doing a small rectangle with some letters in it, it pockets the whole thing, how can I avoid this and just carve on vector?

Bob

Wemme
Vectric Wizard

Re: Open vectors

Post by Wemme »

Hi Bob,
Vcarve pocket and Profile outside/inside require closed vectors however Profile on will work on open vectors.

I have had some funnies with cad that an object looks closed but if you zoom in contained a bunch of loops on the start stop which shags things up.
Regards
Bart

Bob Reda wrote:I need to carve some what the program calls oopen vectors. Apparently vcarve does not toolpath open vectors or does it? Maybe I am not aware of it. These open vectors are a very important part of this carving. How does one go about getting around this? Also, when doing a small rectangle with some letters in it, it pockets the whole thing, how can I avoid this and just carve on vector?

Bob

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

Bob,

it really depends on what you're looking to achieve which you didn't tell much about. You can machine ON vectors on both open and close ones. The only "limitation" I can think of is that you'll machine at a constant depth.

If you need more control over depth, you either need "V" strategies or a package that offer more features (which I couldn't really help you with... mayber toolpath over 3D DXF...) or better yet send feature request to Vectric team.

Check this out (attachements)... I'm sure your project involve something more elegant but the basic of working ON vector is there. :wink:

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hi Bob,

Just wondering if the Join command might help you out?

E-mail the file to support@vectric.com and we'll take a look.

Tony

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard

Post by Bob Reda »

Tony,

I tried to send the file, but I found it it was 9megs, wouldn't let it tthrough.

Bob

mrBOND
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mrBOND »

Bob Reda wrote:Tony,

I tried to send the file, but I found it it was 9megs, wouldn't let it tthrough.

Bob
You can use zip or rar to compress the file.
9mb *.crv will end up around 0,5mb
CNC 1000x600 | VCarve Pro 5.5 | PhotoVCarve | Cut3D | Summa Vinyl Cutter | FlexiSign

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha

Post by Bill_L »

On a side note to machining open vectors, like the example Paco put up, I made up a table to set the 60 deg V bit depth of cut to achieve a desired width of the machined vector. I've used this from time to time to engrave signatures. The file is a PDF and the left and middle columns are the desired width in fractions and decimals.

Bill

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard

Post by Bob Reda »

I've attached a rendering of the file
of course the straight lines in the back and the box around the word home are ths open vectors. What I am having trouble with is the small wording onthe bottom, and Bill even answered before I ask! I carved it yesterday and the small letters where below the top of the wood, so I will probably spend some time with Bills chart to see what I can do.

Thanks everyone.
Bob
Attachments
symphony.jpg
(58.21 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

MZiegler
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MZiegler »

Open vectors also can be over lapped or crossing themselves and Vcarve Pro will toolpath them. This is good for overlapping arcing in and arcing out lead ins moves. Mark