This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Re: Cutting Boards with Inlays

Post by wb9tpg »

wb9tpg wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:52 pm
I've spent a few hours to figure out how you calculated the 0.0281 but not managed to duplicate it or come close to it. So I guess I failing the test. Could you please explain it

Thanks, Gary
Here is what I come up with based on two different Amana bits. I'm a few thousands off your calculation.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 4.00.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 4.01.00 PM.png
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

Hi Gary,
I use Broinwood method.
If you don’t mind spending a few dollars check out his video on the website, after a day of experimenting I am now getting the results that I wanted.
Regards
Ron
Ron
Crafers Crafts

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Gary:

"When in doubt draw it out" might be the catchy way of describing how I did things. In Rhino 3D I drew a cricle. Then a vertical line. I rotated the line to the 6.2 degrees. I then moved the line using the tip as the starting point until it intersected with the circle at the tangent. I drew a horizontal line at the bottom of the circle. I extended the sloped line to the horizontal line. I mirrored the sloped line to the other side of the circle. I then measured between the end points of the two sloped lines where they cross the horizontal line.

Attached are two .crv files (one for each bit mentioned in your images) that contain the curves imported from Rhino. The theoretical flat for your .5mm bit is 0.4486mm.

Steven

bit 46280-K (inches)..crv
(40 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
bit 46473-K (mm)..crv
(40 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

Aussie wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:23 pm
I use Broinwood method.
For calculating the theoretical flat of a tapered rounded end bit?

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

adze_cnc wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:14 am

Attached are two .crv files (one for each bit mentioned in your images) that contain the curves imported from Rhino. The theoretical flat for your .5mm bit is 0.4486mm.

Steven
This was extremely helpful. Thank you very much for taking the time to prepare these files.

Gary 
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA