can these bevels be cut in Vcarve??

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Bigwoodstudio
Model of CNC Machine: unkniwn

can these bevels be cut in Vcarve??

Post by Bigwoodstudio »

Howdy,

Someone is asking me to make him a pair of speakers. The part I am struggling with is how to cut these facets/bevels on my CNC. I currently have VCarve Pro 11.5 and thought of building a jig/base with the proper angles to place the workpiece on and just use a spoilboard bit to mill the face flat. Possibly a lot of work to make the jig but relatively not a lot of machining time. Using Aspire i think I can mill the piece with it flat on the table but it is potentially a long carve.

The possibility exists that I may make a few of these as a low volume production item. Or it may just be this one pair. Does anyone have suggestions or advice for me?
Screenshot 2023-02-01 194530.jpg
Thanks in advance!!

Bob

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Re: can these bevels be cut in Vcarve??

Post by Tailmaker »

You can just define a chamfer tool path using the diagonal edge and the angle between the surface and this bevel with a depth equivalent to the board thickness. It will then cut in air where the chamfer starts but the result should be what is on your picture.
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

You mention Aspire. This could be modelled easily in Aspire and cut with 3D Roughing and 3D Finishing toolpaths fairly quickly. You’d easily be able to use a 3/8” or even 1/2” ball end cutter to do so with a reasonably larger stepover (say 1/32” or more).

The attached image shows as bench I did in VCarve using Rhino 3D models. Each angled facet was finish cut with a 1/2” ball end cutter. All 5 planks combined took not much more than an hour of run time (if I recall correctly) perhaps even less.

douglas fir bench.jpg

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

Example:
Bevel.zip
(10.23 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Bevel1.jpg
Bevel2.jpg
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

A corner bevel can also be cut using multiple parallel lines and the fluting toolpath. I have had good results for cuts similar to this using vectors spaced at 1/8" with a 1/2" end mill. Note that the upper edge of the cut will start the bit radius beyond the vector end, and the vectors must extend at least the bit radius beyond the edge of the material. The plunge rate for the tool should be the same as the feed rate, and the pass depth set to the flute depth, since the first pass barely touches the material and the subsequent passes are effectively a 1/8" Stepover.
corner chamfer.jpg
An end mill with a flat end is used rather than a ball nose because the ball nose produces a scalloped surface, while an end mill produces a flatter surface.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

I suppose the moulding toolpath would be another choice.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

adze_cnc wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:59 am
I suppose the moulding toolpath would be another choice.
Indeed!
Attachments
Beveled edges setup.png
Beveled edges.png
Beveled edges moulding.png
Steve

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

Yup. With the proviso that like chamfer and fluting methods there will be cutting outside the envelope of the speaker face.

moulding.png

preview.jpg
Attachments
speaker.crv
(85.5 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

Burnside
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by Burnside »

adze_cnc wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:57 pm
Yup. With the proviso that like chamfer and fluting methods there will be cutting outside the envelope of the speaker face.

moulding.png

preview.jpg
This is great. I'm actually doing a drawer front and I wanted to add some corner flare, I just might steal this @adze_cnc thank you.