Retrace path CCW rotation

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
NewCNC
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: StyleCNC, 4x8 Grid bed, 20 station ATC

Retrace path CCW rotation

Post by NewCNC »

Hi,

I'm cutting 1/4" deep into cellular PVC with a 1/8" bit for gasketing for some vac pods I'm making. I don't have an up-cut bit yet and need to run this tomorrow. As you can imagine, the downcut is filling the kerf with chips that fuse to themselves and the kerf bottom. I have to dig them out and I have at least a hundred feet to run.

WHAT IF... I run once to make the cut then run the same tool path again but with CCW rotation on the bit? Do you see any harm in that? Might it draw the chips out. If so, what would be a good rpm to run the bit?
Attachments
20230201_202835.jpg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Retrace path CCW rotation

Post by adze_cnc »

You might find that just running the second path normally would work. I wonder if for the second path using a spiral ramp would help.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Do you have the ability to turn on the spindle CCW generally M04
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

NewCNC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NewCNC »

Thanks ADZE,

I've tried a second convectional pass previously without good results so I'm ready to try something else. I'm, not sure what you're suggesting regarding a "spiral ramp". I thought "Ramp" was only applicable to "cleanouts". Where I'm having the trouble is at the bottom of the 1/8" W x 1/4"D kerf cut with my 1/8" down cut spiral bit. It's full of half melted plastic chips.

Since no one has said "DON'T DO THAT", I think I'll try re-pathing CCW and see what happens. I can probably do a few inches without breaking anything. Meanwhile I better get some UC spirals.

Cheers!

NewCNC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NewCNC »

Leo,

I would assume I do but I haven't needed to use it yet. Why, what do you have in mind?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I use an airline directed at the tip of the bit to clear plastic chips from the cutting area, doesn't need to be high pressure, just enough to evacuate the chips :lol: :lol:

NewCNC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NewCNC »

Silly me! Of course I can just blow them out after the fact (with a little hand work with a pick)

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

I have not seen CCW in Vectric

Not entirely sure but I don't think it is availably on these low end machine controls

If it's not available the point may be moot.

If you do in fact have the ability - it may be a good thing to try.
Running the cutter in reverse MAY polish the sides a bit.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

NewCNC
Vectric Apprentice

Post by NewCNC »

This is a 4x8, HSD 9kw, HSK 63 setup with rack and carousel TC and 20hp rotary vac.
I know the control has CCW and I only use Vectric to do the initial code then, more often than not, modify the G code myself. So, I'm sure I can make it work. Copying the tool path code and adding a CCW line will be easy.

Thanks, you answered my question "Is this feasible?".

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

NewCNC wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:08 pm
Silly me! Of course I can just blow them out after the fact (with a little hand work with a pick)
Point is that if you have an airline pointing at the tip of the bit the chips are evacuated from the cut so there is no chance of them rewelding themselves & causing any problems :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

Yep I looked at your machine online - very impressive.
Is it one spindle with two slaves? (all three on one fixed casting) or are they 3 independant spindles.

I had opportunity to write Parametric programming on an Onsrud twin independant 25 hp spindles with twin independant tables, HSK tools, two independant tool carosels. Love that stuff. You could have both spindles working independantly on one table or the other or each spindle working on seperate tables. Very versitle machine. You COULD crash the heads together but there was interference avoidance built in to the software.

Cutting backwards is a bit weird, but depending on the application anything creative is feasible. It just goes against the more popular conception of what most people would think of as correct. Personally - I would try it. Worst that can happen is it does not work. If you don't try it, you will never know for sure.

When I was still working we had one engineer that was always looking for creating was to machine parts in the various CNC machines. Some ideas just did NOT work, but some were ingenious.

Your CCW question does spark some interest in my head.

I am going to try CCW M04 on my Mach3 machine today.
I do a job that would benefit from CCW and possibly a left had cutter.
Left hand cutter is not same as a downcut cutter.

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

I just tried MDI M04S5000 in Mach3 - nope - does not work

I would think your machine has more sofisticated control software, so maybe M04 will work.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Leo wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:08 pm

I would think your machine has more sofisticated control software, so maybe M04 will work.
Would you not have to also set the VFD up to cut CCW Leo? Sure I have seen a reference to PD ? (don't remember which number) for CCW rotation :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

There some options in the profile toolpath you might try. The separate last pass option may work.
Steve

Leo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Leo »

martin54 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:41 pm
Leo wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:08 pm

Would you not have to also set the VFD up to cut CCW Leo? Sure I have seen a reference to PD ? (don't remember which number) for CCW rotation :lol: :lol:
Possibly, but I also do not think CCW is available on Mach3. On the screen there is only notation for CW.

There may be a workaround, but I am not interested in figuring it out. My usage of it would be really close to zero.
If it was as simple as to enter M04 then good, any more effort than that - not worth it to me.