Levelling a new spoilboard on a home made CNC, I have Vectric VCarve Pro and UCCNC

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home made CNC

Re: Levelling a new spoilboard on a home made CNC, I have Vectric VCarve Pro and UCCNC

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi, Jimcad,

Sounds like you have experience already in and around a CNC-type environment, which is great and I feel sure it will assist you very well.
It will be good to see what you do once you get enough time to jump on Aspire.
My aim is to get proficient with basic projects in VCarve Pro, then steadily move forward to challenge myself with custom projects.
Are you in the UK? Or elsewhere around the globe?
I'm in Australia.

Kind regards

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Levelling a new spoilboard on a home made CNC, I have Vectric VCarve Pro and UCCNC

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi, Martin54,

So I can become familiar with Vectric, I am going to do a few basic things to see and learn the functions etc within the software, then gradually step up and add a bit more, then a bit more and so on, then hopefully, I will get better results.
Thank you for the Michael Mesalick heads up, I will have a look and watch his tutorials, the more I learn, the better I will be able to manage the Vectric programme. Hopefully,
You seem to talk with confidence, so apart from your Engineering and Military background, Do you have good Vectric, UCCNC, Mach3 type knowledge?
Do you make anything on a CNC or Milling machine? You obviously have the knowledge and ability.

Kind regards

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Have you looked at any of the Vectric monthly projects? These are good because you also get a PDF file that lists everything you need for the project & has tips on how to finish.
Finishing is another skill you should look into if it's something you know little about. Finishing will make or break a project so in some ways its more important than anything else you do :lol: :lol:
If you look in your V&Co account there are also in the Labs projects & Partner projects that you can learn a lot from.
It's not something I have personally looked at but from what I have read Mark Lindsay on youtube has a good series on his youtube channel called CNC for the absolute beginner.
As far as progression is concerned it really depends on the sort of work you want to be able to do. There are some fantastic makers who only use Vcarve pro because they have no interest or desire to be able to create 3D components themselves. If you are looking to make & sell things then 3D may not be the best way to go, It can be very time-consuming & challenging to sell at a price that makes you money.

As for me well I know enough to be able to complete the projects that I want to be able to make, I'm not an expert by any means so I would probably say I was proficient in the use of the software & hardware that I have & use. I don't sell a lot but that's down to the fact that I am not a salesperson more than anything else & I value my time so won't price the things that I make cheaply just to sell them :lol: :lol: Been there, done that & it just makes you feel like people are taking advantage of you. I am lucky in that I was medically discharged from the RN following a road traffic accident that left me unfit to go to sea & I now get a war pension which means I don't have to make money to be able to survive :lol: :lol:
Yes I make stuff on the CNC machines plus I do a little hand turning, but not a lot because it plays havoc with my arthritis, mainly pens to be honest :lol: :lol: I still do some sign work (cad cut vinyl) & a few other odd bits & pieces :lol: :lol:
If you are interested have a look at my facebook page, it's whatever woodcraft & I am based in Fife Scotland :lol:

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Alpha CNC 6090 with 4th Axis

Post by Jimcad »

Hi wannabecnc,
I as a CNC Turner from 1981 to 2006 Then in an office as part of a design team designing sewage systems for the marine industry.
All of my CNC programs were written by me long hand ( no CADCAM)
This milling / routing and Vectric is all alien to me but slowly I'm picking it up.
I'm in the south of England. :)

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi, Martin54,

Thank you for the info, Yes, I have heard of Mark Lindsay, he does some good videos and is quite explanatory about whatever he does, which is ideal for me, being a novice.
I know what you mean about people taking advantage, I used to do Pyrography, and people just want it for nothing, and don't appreciate the skill, the art, the craft, I used to say, If you want production stuff, Buy Chinese stuff from the reject stores.
I agree finishing is probably more important than the actual piece, because if you stuff the finish, then you might as well start again.
I have done some finish work on timber before, I did a portrait on a Maton Guitar some years back and the finish had to be spot on.
I will have a look-see at your Facebook page to see what you have there.
I have a few router bits for my CNC, but I'm in the process of getting a few others that I know I will use, I have the spoil board tool, All I have to do is figure out how to make the file in VCarve Pro, then I can put it into UCCNC and hope for the best, Hahahahaa

Kind regards,

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi, Jimcad,

I guess you will be pumping out stuff like there's no tomorrow then, Obviously, you have the knowledge, and I'm sure Vectric software will not be too much of an issue for you, Assuming that you were in on the programming side of things.
I was born in the South of England, but before I was one year old, I was in the middle East, My Father was in the forces, so, like most forces children, Well travelled.
Hopefully, I will be able to knock out a little project soon, once I have levelled the spoil board with the new bit that I have just bought.

Kind regards,

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

wannabecnc wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:10 am

Are you in the UK? Or elsewhere around the globe?
I'm in Australia
What part of Australia?
I am in 3781

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi, Greolt,

I'm about 4.5 hours ish, North of you, I have been around your area some years back, In and around Emerald and Belgrave.
Kind regards,

Greolt
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greolt »

I am guessing around Wagga Deniliquin. Spent a bit of time in that area in my youth.

I hope you have fun with your machine. A lot of satisfaction building it yourself.

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi, Greolt,

Close, but no cigar, :lol: Between Wagga and Deniliquin, about 45 mins from Deniliquin.
So, I guess you're doing metalwork projects as opposed to wood etc? Are you into signs for businesses?
You have UCCNC, I have that too, and the AXBB-E Motion controller combo breakout board.
I also have Vectric VCarve Pro but have never used any of these before. My background has been Upholstery since 1982, so a far cry from CNC and related software etc.
Yes, I am very satisfied that I built my CNC, but I think I should name it " Youtube " as I was inspired by others that have built their own and I have learned how to build mine through the CNC enthusiasts from around the globe that upload their achievements on Youtube to help others, for which I am very grateful. So a BIG THANK YOU to all that upload videos about CNC on Youtube.
Because I have built my CNC, the upside to it is, If I get any problems with it, I will be able to resolve them much easier that If I had a manufactured machine or kit.
How long have you had your CNC, or been into CNC work?
It would be good to see what you do on your CNC.
Kind regards,

Greolt
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greolt »

Aha so I am guessing Finley. Honestly though I am not trying to stalk you. :D
I used to spend many a weekend on a property just south of Berigan.

I also use UCCNC on two machines with AXBB-E and one with UC400ETH. And long been a Vectric user.

Been building and operating CNC since 2006. Just a hobbyist. I am retired now.

You have quite a journey in front of you. However having built your own router from scratch, you are well on your way.

Greg

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi, Greg,

Thank you for your reply, You're almost there, close to Finley. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's really good that you use UCCNC and Vectric, I'm sure I will need to pick your brains, that is if you don't mind.
I'm in the throws of levelling the spoil board for the first time, I have just bought a 38.1mm four flute/cutters bit, but the bit doesn't come with any feeds & speeds info and there isn't anything online about it.
I have an MDF spoil board, so just researching as much as I can about it.

Kind regards,
Michael

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi, Greg,

I'm not too sure if the message I just sent actually was, as it seems as though it wasn't the usual procedure. May be I'm wrong and it was sent. Please can you check and let me know?

Kind regards,

Michael near Finley

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Really when it comes to speed & feed settings it is all dependent on the CNC machine & how it is set up, even if you could find speed & feed settings for the bit you have purchased they may not be right for your machine & even if they are fairly close they certainly won't be optimal unless you are really lucky :lol: :lol:

You have a home built CNC machine which could really mean anything from a plastic printed machine to a cast iron & steel machine, I have seen some incredible homemade machines built by people who not only knew what they were doing but had access to the equipment needed to make them :lol: :lol:

I generally use a 2 flute bottom cutting bit for leveling slabs, in fact I don't generally use any bits above 2 flutes on the CNC routers, there are a couple of exceptions but not many. You may find that looking on line at other manufacturers bits will give you an idea where to start with feed & speed setting. From there you can fine tune for your machine, I doubt the bit you have bought is suitable for plunge cutting so you will need to set up your toolpath to ramp in to the cut.
You will want to use a pocket toolpath with the pocket set to the size you want to surface the spoilboard to.

wannabecnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wannabecnc »

Hi, Martin54,
My machine is in the pics that I posted in earlier messages, it's fairly substantial and made from aluminium profile. The two main rails that the glide rails sit on are 160 x 80mm, and the cross members are 80x40mm as are the legs. The gantry frame is 80x80mm, with 16mm aluminium end plates. The spindle is a water-cooled 2.2kw. I have Nema 24 stepper motors, and the Ballscrews are RM 2005's
I would say it's a reasonable machine for a home build, by a first-time novice :lol: :lol:
The bit that I bought isn't for plunge cutting, and yes, as you have said, I will ramp it in.
On MDF, and using the 38.1 mm cutter with a half-inch shank and four flutes, what would you say is an okay depth per pass?
I think overall, I'm only going to take about 1.75 mm.
How dense is MDF in comparison with hardwood like oak or similar?
I was having a look online at some other CNC bit manufacturers and some do have the specs etc and others don't, so as you say I can get an idea and then fine-tune from there.
Getting the spoil board done will hopefully, be fairly soon, then assuming all goes well, I will then venture into making something simple to test the machine, the cutters and me of course :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kind regards,
Michael