Newbie Confuused on definition

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
pelletman

Newbie Confuused on definition

Post by pelletman »

:x Hi everyone,
I am a newbie to 3D carveing I am using machinists 3D software, I am very confused about how to set the numbers in the program to get the best results. right now I am using the 3 d templates of the Eagle (A) (C) with flag and not getting the definition to really look good. I would like to keep the depth to 0.25 and have the Eagle with as much definition as possible. I have 3 ball bits 1/8 --0.187--1/4'' not really sure what bit works best. any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS TOM

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Re: Newbie Confuused on definition

Post by CRFultz »

Tom you can rough it in with the 1/4 and finish with the 1/8th with a small stepover. 1/4 may not be enough depth to get the most out of what is possible

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

A loose rule of thumb, The smaller the finishing tool -> The greater the detail.

pelletman

Post by pelletman »

Hh,

Thank you very much for your replay and help. ok so your saying is i make the model size 0.25 on the z that would give me more def?

tom

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Increasing the depth would give you more definition than a smaller Z height, but only to a point. The smaller size of the tool used can make an equal improvement to the definition.

JDJones
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Newbie Confused on definition

Post by JDJones »

Most models are designed with the x,y,z to be proportional. I wouldn't change the Z until I had cut one or two the way they were designed. I use the 1/4" end mill bit for roughing and 1/8" ball nose for finish pass.
Changing the "Z" will give you more definition but sometimes to the point it throws the "balance" or "looks" of the model out.

Good Luck
James D. Jones

pelletman

Post by pelletman »

Thanks James, when you say you use 1/4'' end mill is that a ball nose.also the Z you are talking about is the one on the set dimensions page? i have iy set to 0.4 and gap above to 0 gap below 0.1 roughing useing 1/4'' ball nose in the y finiseing with 1/8 ball nose in the x stepover of 0.0125. on the roughing i have a stepover of 0.025 im not sure how theses stepovers work do they seem to be right.

thanks for your replay and your help Tom

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

Hi Tom,
As JDJones said, the 3D models are made to a certain proportion. A 1/4" depth may look fine on a project that is 10" in diameter but be too shallow on one 24" in diameter.

I cut the eagle and flag model 18" high and I don't remember the width, but it was proportional to the original except the Z was set to .4 on the "Orintate and Size Model" page. I roughed it with a 1/4" ballnose with a stepover of 40%. I like to use percent there because I find it easier than calculating fractions. I finished it with an 1/8" ballnose with a stepover of 8%. Usually an 8-10% stepover with an 1/8" bit will leave very little sanding to be done. On this one, I also tried to texture the background for the first time.

Unfortuunately, there is no magic formula for what tool/depth to use. You just have to get a little advice from the forum and then trial and error until you get the feel of it. I always say a man pays for his education no matter how he gets it...buying the wrong house, buying the wrong car, marrying the wrong woman. The cost of your education in Cut3D will be the cost of a few bits, your time and some scrap wood that you thought was going to be a masterpiece. Looking back, I could have probably built a small house with my "masterpieces."

Using the preview is a good way to get an idea if your settings are close to being right. Once you have a preview that looks like you want your project to look, and the time to cut it is acceptable, It could turn out to be a masterpiece or...well, let's not think about that.

Good luck with you project!

Regards,

Joe
Attachments
Eagle and Flag Oval.jpg
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/

JDJones
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Newbie Confused on definition

Post by JDJones »

Tom,
I agree with Joe on settings. (Nice sign Joe!)
I just use end mills for roughing and save my ball nose bits for finishing work. Either way works fine.

"also the Z you are talking about is the one on the set dimensions page? "

Yes, default keeps it proportional to the x - y dimensions. I rarely change it.

Stepovers - Rough, I run 30-40%, Finish 7-10%

When I started I followed the settings in the tutorials available from the web site, then adjusted them as I got use to cutting. As Joe stated, expect a learning curve. Everyone leans from trial and error. I have a three foot high stack of "mistakes" sitting next to the fireplace.
James D. Jones