Plaque for Matt's Offroad Recovery

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Plaque for Matt's Offroad Recovery

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

MattsOffroad.png
Had a lot of fun with this Design And Make model. I made it as a gift for some folks in Utah that we watch on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/c/MattsOffRoadRecovery). They tow people stuck in sand and mud with unique tow vehicles. This model hit to a lot of bases for me. Had no problems with it, either, and you can't say that about a lot of models.

The yellow rope was made to mimic the tow / snatch rope these folks use to accomplish their tasks. It is quite technical, too, involving special knot tying and threading the rope inside itself; compliments of my son and his hiking/hammock skills. He says someone he knows pulled a truck with a sample like this one, but all this one has to hold is the wood.

I cut this out of a cherry board, added a special linseed oil sealer and covered with poly after about a week of waiting. Their logo is colored with yellow filler in the letters, but I couldn't bring myself to paint that wood! :wink:
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Plaque for Matt's Offroad Recovery

Post by garylmast »

Very nice.

Gary

qldsteve
Model of CNC Machine: Self-Built CNC Router, AXBB-E Controller

Post by qldsteve »

Looks good and I like the finish.
Does the poly coat over the linseed oil sealer stop it from getting darker and darker over time?
I find when I finish with Boiled Lindseed Oil and nothing else, my projects seem to darken over time.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

qldsteve wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:10 am
Does the poly coat over the linseed oil sealer stop it from getting darker and darker over time?
I find when I finish with Boiled Lindseed Oil and nothing else, my projects seem to darken over time.
Of course, I don't know if this project will darken over time, because there hasn't been enough time to know. I got this "Special Linseed Oil" from https://www.earthpaint.net/ , because scottp55 of Maine uses it and recommended it to me. There's some details listed at that website about "boiled linseed oil" that will explain why I resisted using any linseed oil until I bought this stuff.

Thanks for the compliment!
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

Luvtocarve
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave Piranha XL

Post by Luvtocarve »

Very nice work! Matt's bound to love it.
Steve Harp
Wadsworth, Ohio USA
www.trlw.us