What is the best model size? - Part 2

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

What is the best model size? - Part 2

Post by BrianM »

This question was originaly asked by Turtle49 / Tim and generated a lot of interest and replies.
Turtle49 wrote:I am wondering about setting up "library" components. Is it best to model them at the exact size you need them, or is it better to model them smaller or larger than you need?

What I am wondering is what will give me the most flexibility down the road?

I know that the models from VectorArt3D are typically 6" x 6" and have a relief depth of 0.25" to 0.625". What is the thought process behind that? File size versus detail?

Thanks for your input,
Tim
:D
Although this seems like a simple question it is very difficult to answer, as there are a number of variables which come into play. The original thread revealed that there was a lot of confusion about how the physical size of a model, the modeling resolution and the area of the working model occupied by a component interact to influence file size and component quality.

As the original thread ended up with a lot of speculation and incorrect information, I locked the original thread (and will remove it shortly to avoid confusion in the future) and have replaced it with this one. I have written a document in which I have tried to explain the various factors which influence quality and file sizes. I have to warn people that this is a relatively complex area (at least when I try to explain it :-) ), and the information is certainly not required for the normal use of Aspire. However, for people who like to get a better understanding of what is happening 'under the hood', the attached document will hopefully make things a bit clearer.

A quote from the start of the document ...
This document has been produced in response to questions about file sizes in Aspire on the Vectric forum. It is not considered an essential part of the Aspire training materials and has only been produced for those people who like to know what is going on ‘under the hood’ of the program. If the following material does not make much sense DONT WORRY - the information presented here is not required to use Aspire successfully.
Please do not try and understand this document before using Aspire, as you are very likely to end up even more confused! This document does not explain how to approach modeling objects in Aspire, and if you are not already happy with the concepts of the Working Model, Components etc in Aspire, or if you are just starting to learn how to use Aspire, please work through the supplied tutorials first.

Brian
Attachments
Aspire Model Structure.pdf
Description of the Aspire Model Structure -
(934.05 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times

joecnc2006
Vectric Wizard

Re: What is the best model size? - Part 2

Post by joecnc2006 »

Thanks for the clarification, it makes since to me now to as how it is setup. and why this approach was used.

Joe

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

Thanks, Brian. That is a well written, comprehensive document that really answers a lot more questions than those asked originally.

This kind of support is what sepatates Vevtric products from the rest of the field.

Regards,

Joe
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I think it is all done with Smoke and Mirrors.

Brian is actually like that guy Tron in the movie, he whips down the internet on his little motorcycle and does the modeling. He just made up that stuff in the PDF.

The disclaimer was great, should be required reading for all first year legal students. "What the software guy meant to say was. . . ."

Very good explanation, a bit like the birds and bees, I had to get a note from wife before I was allowed to read it!

Now we all know what PDF means: Pretty Darned Frightening

Thanks Brian, you whipped that up pretty fast.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

TReischl wrote:Thanks Brian, you whipped that up pretty fast.
Oh no I didn't! I'm a lot faster writing code than documentation (and code is more fun :-) ).

Brian

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Cheers Brian, that was very informative. :)

bclark

Post by bclark »

Thanks Brian, I was following part 1 and was very confused. After reading your document, part size now makes sense.

Brian :D