Comgrow 3018 GRBL need to know which PP

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Comgrow 3018 GRBL need to know which PP

Post by AboveCreations »

Hi folks. I made a purchase for a small CNC/Laser 3018 machine to do small projects in my enclosed 7x14 trailer. I am unfamiliar with GRBL (Candle 1.1.7) and not sure which post processor to select when building my toolpaths in Vcarve. For my current machine (i2R) I use the pp of mach3/4 ATC Arcs (inches) (*.txt). Should I use that for this new machine? Will that Candle software recognize the .txt file created from vcarve? Is anyone familiar with this Comgrow machine? Here is the link of the purchase: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BK ... =UTF8&th=1

I did ask this question to the seller on amazon, but I am not sure they know vcarve. After downloading the software for this new Comgrow machine, it appears they include a software called coppercam. But I never heard of that either. A google search shows that the coppercam program is mainly for building circuit boards. I don't plan to do that and I want to do all my designing in vcarve.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Comgrow 3018 GRBL need to know which PP

Post by Adrian »

If it's GRBL based I would use the GRBL post processor.

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman

Post by AboveCreations »

Adrian wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:53 pm
If it's GRBL based I would use the GRBL post processor.
Well, since version 11, vectric doesn't supply all the pp files with the upgrade. When I go into the pp to download a new pp file, it wants to know what machine I have. Of course Comgrow isn't a known machine and I do not see any that are called GRBL. I do not see a way to download a particular pp file without first selecting the machine. The seller told me to use most any .nc or .cnc post possessor, but I don't think that is accurate.

I was able to select a Genmistu 3018 machine and it has GRBL (inch), but when I save the toolpath/pp file, it is .gcode. So I am not sure if that is correct either.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can choose any post processor you want. They are all supplied with V11. I have loads of post processors that are nothing to do with my ShopBot installed and associated with it to make it easer answering forum questions.

The machine setting is purely so you can tell multiple machines and their capabilities apart. It doesn't stop you from installing a post processor. You can create a custom machine by using the + button on the dialog.

You can add a post processor to an existing machine either at the saving of code stage via the commands on that dialog or using the commands on the Machine menu.

The suffix on the saved code file doesn't matter. It's the contents of the file. If you've selected the GRBL post processor then that is the output you will get which is g-code anyway.

https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... tion-guide

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman

Post by AboveCreations »

Thanks Adrian. That video did help and I now learned how to setup and control my pp via each machine. It was a little tricky at first, that is why I was confused. I'll get the small machine tomorrow and I'll get to slap it together and try it out. The seller kept wanting me to use easal or fusion since they didn't recognize when I mention vectric vcarve. Then they replied and said what about cut2d. I replied, that is vectric and would be the same for vcarve. lol. Hopefully all is good. Thanks again.

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman

Post by AboveCreations »

I got the machine the other day. I spent an hour putting it together. Plugged in the AC power.... nothing! I must have gone through the manual and install videos a dozen times, checking every connection. After quite a bit of back n forth with the seller, back it went to amazon. I am glad I purchased it from amazon since they have easy returns. I was going to buy directly from the company (same price), but since I have prime, I got it faster. Anyway, I will wait for my refund before I decide what to do. I may consider just a small foot laser only machine.