Almost Made a HUGE Mistake

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Almost Made a HUGE Mistake

Post by TReischl »

Like a lot of other people on the forum, I am spending quite a bit of time learning Aspire. It is fun, but there is a challenge, finding something to model. That always seems to be a challenge.

Yesterday, I wanted to start something new, I took a look at the Vector Art 3D site and said, "What the heck, that would be a good place to start" I thought I could do a screen grab, trace things out. It would be great, I could see how things would turn out and I could learn.

Then something started nagging at me, something was not quite right. Having worked with Aspire, I knew those models took quite a bit of time to develop. I also knew that if I successfully created one, I was not about to throw it away when I was done. I was going to steal something. It had snuck up on me. I wasn't doing it to save some bucks, but I was going to steal nonetheless. Nevermind the reason. Stealing is an ugly word. I didn't do it.

I have a couple of other rules for myself with this forum. I don't download other peoples .crv or .crv3d files unless I am helping them solve a problem. As a rule I don't post them either. I am more interested in being able to do it myself.

Yup, a person can steal, and they can make some money doing it, and then they can live with themselves the rest of their lives. I don't want to live with a thief.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Re: Almost Made a HUGE Mistake

Post by CRFultz »

Words of wisdom.

adding to that, I will never post a paying customer's work unless they have specifically said they were ok with it. There have been many litho's i would have loved to share but it belongs to them and I have to respect there wishes.

I have downloaded many crv files in the past but chances are if the member included it with there post then they are ok with sharing it. If I keep it I try to attach a tag to the file with the person's user name so that if it gets used in a job I can give them credit for it. This would only apply to a file where the user is the original owner.

Chuck

Audiomanics
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Audiomanics »

If people offer their files for free there is no problem using them (besides you have to like them and want to use them)
On the web you can also find enourmous quantities of vector-art that is explicitly free to use.. Not everybody is making his profit on works he makes.. A lot of hobbieists make vectors for them selves and share them and even feel good if they see other people using them as long as they don't say they made it and try to make profit from it.
I have shared most of my works too, free to use (most of them handy-tools-software and electronic circuits) Sometimes you got mail from very distant countries where you never expected to get mail from (like somebody from Simbabwe asking me how to adjust my Voltage Controlled Current Source for Filament Power supply.. I even sent him some components for free, which he couldn't get there.. 3 months later i received the message that it worked great! That gives me a good feeling!)
Sure, when one of your customers wants that specific file you can easily calculate the costs and you should buy it. But i mean there is a lot of free shared and in some cases you could send a mail with thanks. They appreciate it sincerely. You have to search harder, sometimes.

Kees

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

All words of wisdom. I have to say that maybe I have lower morals when it comes to .crv files on this site. I figure if someone posts a file in the Free CRV Files thread, then it is there to be shared and used, thats why I post them anyway. If its posted looking for help or advice, I don't use them without permission because the poster may have the rights to it, at least morally if not legally.

I definately agree 100% on the VA3D screencap point though, doing that would be wrong, although something I have done with Aspire is try to recreate a VA3D file which I own and paid for, just to learn and for practise, but it only reinforced for me the excellent value of VA3D, and how I'm much better off buying from them when required than trying to create something myself! :oops:

I think that objects from paying customers are a different beast altogether :shock: , it depends upon the nature of the item, and their permission. For example, if its a sign you created for them then 95% of the time I'd say posting is no problem once your post is not of a tone that may damage their business by association.

If its something like a litho I wouldn't post it without the customers express permission because its like posting someone else's photo online, which I don't agree with at all......think Bebo or Facebook....I just think a photo of someone is somewhat sacred to that person, and shouldn't be used without permission.

Just m2c.

harryball
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT Alpha

Post by harryball »

I sort of did exactly what you described using a screen shot from a preview V3D file I already own 8) I wanted to see how hard it would be... I have even more respect for the job James does. I couldn't really even get close to the quality of the version James provided. I think so far as I go... buying the models I want and using them is going to be the ticket.

I do agree, however, that taking a screen shot from the website and using that as a basis to build a model is at least not ethical and probably illegal.

/RB
Robert
http://www.habitatforbats.org
Give a Bat a Home!

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

I agree you need permission from customers, people and even family ( except grand parents you get the use the grand father clause :P ).

Crv's if posted in free section by all means they were put there to be used ,thank the contributor. Post what ever you did so we can all see.

As for trying to emulate others 3d works , personally I won't . (use the tutorials samples that is what they are for)
I want to learn to make my own. I think part of building it is training your eyes to determine what is good or bad.

James does fantastic work. I may never be able to do as well, But I am sure I will be able to make stuff I am proud of.

Thank you Ted (?) for posting. it is great to see that there is people out there still with morals ( I am sure there is lots ... Some times I wonder though)

I think that it is good thing to remind people of what is right and wrong. It seems to me, That corporate / Political world for the most part are always searching for ways to circumvent the rules . Even though they know it is morally wrong...

Another 2cents ( what ever happended to the cent symbol ? )

Ron Helliar
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ron Helliar »

"Then something started nagging at me, something was not quite right."

For my first post, thank you. As an artist, craftsman and business owner.
Custom signs and service in a "comic sans, corex world"
http://www.MarysvilleSign.com

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greasetattoo »

Hey Kent,

The cent key...

ALT 0162 = ¢

You can use the Alt codes to type special characters Turn on the Num Lock, hold down the ALT key and type in the number using the numerical keypad of your computer. The sites below show you some of the major ones.

There is also a character map on your computer. You can use it as well. Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map!

Just my 4¢ worth..Remember inflation! :wink:

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Hey, thats pretty cool. I wasn't aware of it!......... ¢Â¢{š≤{▼Çác╓∞═þ}╢ :D :D HAHA! :D
Greasetattoo wrote:Hey Kent,

The cent key...

ALT 0162 = ¢

You can use the Alt codes to type special characters Turn on the Num Lock, hold down the ALT key and type in the number using the numerical keypad of your computer. The sites below show you some of the major ones.

There is also a character map on your computer. You can use it as well. Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map!

Just my 4¢ worth..Remember inflation! :wink:

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

Thanks Grease , Went to your webpage also, great tatoos . Did you have to strap down the foot to do it on the bottom ? or was she passed out / knocked out ? I sure would of had to be. I am assuming it is a girl :)

also your avatar always intriged me, but really didn't grasp what it really was until I click on the thumbnail on your web page ... one word "Cool !"