on cutting bas relief text

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
2C3D4U
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Flexicam Stealth

on cutting bas relief text

Post by 2C3D4U »

Hello, is it possible to profile cut around suitably spaced text (converted to vectors) when the text projects above a milled, wavy, surface component underneath? If not, why not? I'm asking because I've seen many references to sloped letter walls implemented to minimize rough letter sidewalls, where profiling (if possible) would be the best route. The gist of the question is, how can I profile cut letters while respecting non-flat surface components my text projects from?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: on cutting bas relief text

Post by TReischl »

As soon as the base surface is non planar a ball nose end mill is needed. A flat bottom end mill obviously cannot conform to the wavy base surface.

That may or may not be an issue since you would be using a ball nose end mill to produce the wavy surface. Sort of depends on how small the letters are and how closely spaced. You would need to do some figuring to determine if you need a combination of cutters and possibly set up the job by:

1. Profiling the letters with a small ball nose projecting the toolpath onto the wavy surface.
2. Possibly having to do a clearing operation with the same tool as above to remove material around the letters in preparation for a larger ball nose.
3. Run a larger ball nose on the remaining material.

Hope that helps!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

You might want to check out these three blog posts:
Also, the "Project to 3D" option in profile toolpaths.

2C3D4U
Vectric Apprentice

Post by 2C3D4U »

TReischl wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:21 pm
As soon as the base surface is non planar a ball nose end mill is needed. A flat bottom end mill obviously cannot conform to the wavy base surface.

That may or may not be an issue since you would be using a ball nose end mill to produce the wavy surface. Sort of depends on how small the letters are and how closely spaced. You would need to do some figuring to determine if you need a combination of cutters and possibly set up the job by:

1. Profiling the letters with a small ball nose projecting the toolpath onto the wavy surface.
2. Possibly having to do a clearing operation with the same tool as above to remove material around the letters in preparation for a larger ball nose.
3. Run a larger ball nose on the remaining material.

Hope that helps!
Hi, I understand what you're saying, but disagree about the need for a ball end with wavy surfaces. I was talking about gentle waves, not at all textured. The leading edge of my flats does the work up hill, while the trailing edge does the downhill work. It works fine, no issue, while allowing for greater bit percentages per pass.. Add to this the variety of end mill diameters at our disposal, and there you have it. It would be nice to grab an endmill that rides the wavey surfaces while revealing the straight walls of letters. See attached. The little sign, mostly a play time exercise, is all of 6 X 16 inches. The letters project about .4" (point four) and they are a hair share of 1/8" thick. In other CADCAM packages, like AlphaCAM (with its own shortcomings and tedium), I can grab a tool and ride along the periphery of each letter's detail, proceeding from letter to letter (user dictated), then switch tool and repeat.......... There's a trade off in rastering and choosing by depth, especially with all of .4" involved. I'm an ecofriendly guy, and watching a 780 pound gantry move back and forth needlessly is difficult to view. I love Aspire, but hope continued improvements appear in its CAM toolset.
Attachments
20220111_120549.jpg

2C3D4U
Vectric Apprentice

Post by 2C3D4U »

adze_cnc wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:25 pm
You might want to check out these three blog posts:
Also, the "Project to 3D" option in profile toolpaths.
Thank you! I absolutely will. Cheers

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

2C3D4U wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:33 pm
Hi, I understand what you're saying, but disagree about the need for a ball end with wavy surfaces. I was talking about gentle waves, not at all textured. The leading edge of my flats does the work up hill, while the trailing edge does the downhill work........
Happy it is working satisfactorily for you. However, running a flat bottom end mill up a slope or curve does produce scallops. Obviously they are minute enough to not bother you.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

I haven't figured out why you have not looked at the Project on to 3D surface option yet?

2C3D4U
Vectric Apprentice

Post by 2C3D4U »

TReischl wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:43 am
I haven't figured out why you have not looked at the Project on to 3D surface option yet?
Thank you. That's an easy question to answer. I wear many different hats here, in a business that is very deadline intensive.........so it's catch as catch can, except when I (and do) get up in the wee hours of the morning to check into the minutiae of Aspire on occasion. Yes I do use the project to 3D on occasion, and it makes me wonder why people introduce minute tapering of text walls to prevent rough text wall surfaces.