Hello all, Happy New Year!

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
MikeSibley
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Avid Pro 4896 Rotary Axis

Hello all, Happy New Year!

Post by MikeSibley »

First, I am brand new at using Aspire. I have studied and studied the Vectric tutorial videos but have one question that is eluding me. On a model (I'm simply making raised letters to be carved into a piece of material whereby the machine removes the surrounding wood but leaves the letters) I'm struggling. I know that this is probably simple and mundane to most, but if you can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

How does the base height and model height interact with the model and the whole surface? If I want these letters (two different sizes and both created as flat on top) to be identical in height, will the base height determine the depth of the letter below the surface? From what I can find, it appears that the base height will raise the model to a certain level and then the model height establishes the height of the remainder such as if it were rounded on top? The instructional videos are good, but I'm starting at crawling and the videos in part are assuming that I can not only walk but run too.

I would appreciate it if you can point me in the right direction. I know that the learning curve is a little steep, but I seem to be catching on pretty quickly.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Hello all, Happy New Year!

Post by Adrian »

Do you need to do it as 3D job? If you're cutting raised letters on a flat surface then you would use the pocket toolpath for that.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Under the Modeling section, use the Create Shape tool to create the recess using either a selected height or a subtract distance, then start another component and select the text and raise them to the height you want.

Create a border around the inside of the pocket and around the letters, Select both of them, then use the Pocket Toolpath.

I hope that answered your question.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

MikeSibley
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MikeSibley »

Yes, thank you guys. What establishes the height/depth of the 3D carving? Is it when I create the create shape tool or in the properties tool after the shape is created?

MikeSibley
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MikeSibley »

PS - I just bought Aspire last week so I appreciate your help and tolerance with a newbie like me!

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

MikeSibley wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:25 pm
Yes, thank you guys. What establishes the height/depth of the 3D carving? Is it when I create the create shape tool or in the properties tool after the shape is created?
It depends on what part of the shape needs changing. Increasing/decreasing the base height raises/lowers the shape with vertical walls added to the bottom. Changing the shape height changes the actual shape. If you add shape height to a dome, the actual dome shape will get taller, keeping its designed shape. If you increase the base height height, then the shape is untouched, but it is raised with vertical walls.

MikeSibley
Vectric Apprentice

Post by MikeSibley »

Thanks! I appreciate it. I'm just trying to get two sets of letters, one a larger font or size to all be the same cut depth. I think I have it.