Roughing pass taking extremely long time

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Re: Roughing pass taking extremely long time

Post by Tailmaker »

It may not help you that much since you have the Shark controller, but there are machine controllers out there that allow coordinate transformations of the loaded g-code like rotation, mirror, scale etc. in any plane. I used to have an early Shark many years ago but at some time replaced that controller with one from Planet-CNC (and later built my own machine using the modified Shark). But such a change is obviously something for the electronically inclined person.
This is how it looks on my controller software. I guess such a function would do the job for you.

Before (g-code as loaded):
Before.jpg
After rotation transformation:
After.jpg
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

relayerbob
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by relayerbob »

I dropped the the Shark controller a long time ago, and I use Buildbotics, which is great, but the controller isn't the limit, it's Vectic Aspire. The point of using Aspire is so it does the work of producing g-code. What I would love to see is for the roughing capability to match the fin capability as shown in the attached
Attachments
finish setup edit.JPG
roughing setup.JPG

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

I understand that you would like to do that in Aspire.
My post was more about a workaround while this is not yet possible.
With the mentioned controller function you could generate your tool path in Aspire at 0 or 90 degrees, load it in the machine controller and rotate the tool path there so that it fits your machine diagonally.
But again, replacing the controller would mean a lot of trouble just for this feature.
On the other hand, one could easily write a post-post processor app to rotate the g-code tool paths before they are loaded in the machine controller. Got to think about that...but I guess the demand for such a thing would be pretty small.
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

relayerbob
Vectric Apprentice

Post by relayerbob »

I will look into software that roates the model. I already have a very good controller after the upgrade to the Buildbotics, so it can handle anything thrown at it. But it can't, as far as I know, rotate that code internally. AS I undersntand it though, aAll I need to do really is rotate the g-code on the one tool path, the rest works fine! I didn't knowthere were packages that did that. Thanks!!!

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

ich-fräs-das wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:09 am
I have attached my job setup sheet, which applies to my machine, which is more stable.
Hello Eckart,

When printing you setup sheet you can have the material setup graphics printed as well (if you would like to). From your web browser choose "Print preview...". In the dialog box there should be a "Background graphics" checkbox (I suppose your print preview might list 'Hintergrundgrafiken' but that would just be a wild Englischer guess...). If you place a checkmark in that box the images should print. See attached image.

Steven
print-preview.png

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

relayerbob wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:37 pm
..... I didn't knowthere were packages that did that......
Well, I don't know if there are such apps out there in the wild. But I happen to have a piece of software that does that (actually I just wrote it...), please check PM for a link.

ich-fräs-das
Model of CNC Machine: BZT PFE1000-PX

Post by ich-fräs-das »

adze_cnc wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:59 pm
ich-fräs-das wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:09 am
I have attached my job setup sheet, which applies to my machine, which is more stable.
When printing you setup sheet you can have the material setup graphics printed as well (if you would like to). From your web browser choose "Print preview...". In the dialog box there should be a "Background graphics" checkbox (I suppose your print preview might list 'Hintergrundgrafiken' but that would just be a wild Englischer guess...). If you place a checkmark in that box the images should print. See attached image.

Hi Steven,
i found the checkbox and it works, thank you.
Eckart

print-preview.png

relayerbob
Vectric Apprentice

Post by relayerbob »

Tailmaker wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:46 am
relayerbob wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:37 pm
..... I didn't knowthere were packages that did that......
Well, I don't know if there are such apps out there in the wild. But I happen to have a piece of software that does that (actually I just wrote it...), please check PM for a link.
Thanks a bunch!!!

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Here's a thought for how to hog out the material faster. A carving toolpath can serve as a roughing pass. It takes more effort to set up than just making a roughing pass, but might achieve your objective.

1. carefully create a couple of profile or pocket paths with a larger end mill in the direction you want to go to hog out material a a couple of levels. This is just to reduce the strain on the bit in the step 3. Don't need a lot of paths, just trying to get within 1/4" or so of the final model. Make sure it clears out material from the deep sides.

2. Create a copy of your model and increase its size slightly. If you change the size by a percentage in the Set Selected Object Size dialog, it should change x,y and z.

3. Hide the final model and leave the model in step 2 visible. Create a carving toolpath with a large ballnose bit, (like a 1/2" or larger core box bit) with a large stepover. If you've set up the profile paths in step 1 properly, the large ballnose can remove a lot of material without too much strain, as long as your machine can handle it.

4. Hide the step 2 model and make the final model visible. Create the final carving toolpath with the smaller tool.

Not fast to set up, but it could eliminate a lot of cutting time.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

relayerbob
Vectric Apprentice

Post by relayerbob »

By a carving toolpath, do you mean the pocket toolpath?

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

No, I mean a carving toolpath with a large ballnose, followed by the regular carving toolpath with your small ballnose. A large ballnose bit, with a large stepover, cutting on a slightly larger copy of your component, will essentially accomplish the same thing as a roughing toolpath, and because you're using a carving toolpath you can control the direction of the cut.

If you're concerned that the large ballnose will plunge too far into the material on the first pass, then create a relief cut (could be a pocket or profile path) where it starts. After that, it's taking a fairly small amount of material off on each pass and can hopefully power through.
Steve Godding

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

I'm using the wrong terminology and probably confusing things. I mean a 3d finishing toolpath.

Please see the attached example. I used 2 profile paths to provide relief before doing the "roughing" 3d finishing tooplath.
Attachments
Roughing 3d finish path.zip
(2.9 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
Steve Godding