Tool Data Base Not Updating

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Richard Weiss
Model of CNC Machine: Inventables and Next Wave Automation

Tool Data Base Not Updating

Post by Richard Weiss »

I have downloaded the Whiteside Vectric Database and installed it in VCarve (VCarve Pro 10.507) Tool Data base.
I can see it there and all tools are there. However, When I start a new project and go to use one of the tools they are not all listed there.
The Downloaded file has 48 tool profiles and there are only 20 listed in the Tool Paths listings.
What am I missing or doing wrong to update the database?

I would like to add that I have also restarted both Vectric Pro and my computer after installing the database.
:cry:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Tool Data Base Not Updating

Post by SteveNelson46 »

When selecting a tool from the database to use in a toolpath it will only show you the tools that are relevant to the toolpath you are creating. For example, if you are trying to create a v-carve toolpath it will only show you the tools that are allowed for v-carving.
Steve

Richard Weiss
Model of CNC Machine: Inventables and Next Wave Automation

Post by Richard Weiss »

Thanks Steve for the reply, but let me try to explain it a little clearer. In the Toolpaths, Toolpath Operation window on the Right side of the screen, the 4th row down, 1st Column is the The Tool Data base. If you left click it twice it opens up your "Display Tool Database". Mine has the complete listing for the Whiteside Router bits listed there. I am interested in using the SC50 which shows up there along with 8 other Engraving bits so I know it is in my Tool Database.
Now here lies the problem.
I need to engrave text on my project. I put down the text, select it and then proceed to the
V-Carving/Engraving Toolpath icon to select the router bit I want to use, in this case SC50.
I click on Tool, Select and the Tool Database opens up and that is where I would select the SC50 Engraving bit. However, only 4 Engraving bits show up in the Tool Database window as opposed to the total of 9 that I know are "THERE".
So my problem is "Where is "THERE?""

I hope this helps to make things a little clearer.

:?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's as Steve says, you can only use a tool that is valid for the operation. The tool you are trying to use has been defined by Whiteside as a form tool rather than a v-bit or an engraving bit so it's not valid for use as a tool in a v-carve toolpath.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

You can bring the tool into the database for the information --- then create a new v-bit tool adding the information manually inputting the information gathered as a v-bit from the SC50 tool info then delete or leave(for the info only) the form tool (SC50).

Not sure why whiteside has decided that this particular tool is a form tool rather than a V-Bit. But the above is the way I have incorporated some of their tools into my Tool Data base. And of course as previously stated that particular tool does not appear when using the V-Carve/Engraving toolpath even though it is actually in the tool database.

I would be cautious too using their settings for the SC50 has a pass Depth of 5/8" (.625)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005