Working Model height change

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Working Model height change

Post by CRFultz »

During the Beta testing I had problems with the height change of a component after it has been sculpted, so I thought I would pass this along.

In the Component Manager, when you select a component and then click "Copy into Model", go up and Uncheck the the item. When you are done sculpting it will remain at the height in which you extruded it. If the checkmark remains selected (or you reselect it after sculpting) then the component will double in height when you keep the changes and exit sculpting mode.

If you save the component with the checkmark box Unchecked, the original height will be retained, if the box is checked then the saved component will be twice has high when you bring it back in to Aspire.

Keep in mind you can always lower the sculpted component by using the scale Z icon.

Chuck

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Re: Working Model height change

Post by RoutnAbout »

Thanks Chuck,
I remember you bringing this up during beta testing, But completely forgotten about it. And this has had me baffled for a week now. Why won't that stay at 0.030?!?!?!

Well its because I have that checked in the Component Manager.

Probably no way to keep the visual in the right pane without the being checked in the manager?
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Erik F »

removing post:)
Last edited by Erik F on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Erik F wrote:So this is a bug waiting to be fixed? Very annoying!
Hi Erik ,

This is NOT a bug (which is why this is in the 'Tips and Tricks' section). It is the way the program works with the components and the working model being two separate things which combine to make the composite model you see in the 3D view.

To be succesful with Aspire people must grasp the difference between the 'Working Model' and components. The early tutorials cover this extensively as does the 'Introductiuon to 3D Modelling' PDF document (this is linked from the 'Gettting Started - 3D' entry in the Aspire section of the start menu and also from the Aspire DVD installer). It is vital that people work through these early tutorials to ensure they understand the basic concepts of the program before moving onto more advanced areas.

Brian

Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Erik F »

Thanks,
I've been trying to get up to speed with the very good tutorial. Sorry for causing any confusion!
Erik

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Sorry for causing any confusion
Erik,
I too struggled with this for awhile until, after watching the tutorials and thinking about it, it just finally made sense.

Hang in there because it is really powerful once you get your head wrapped around some of these concepts.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop