Odd Oval Shape

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
monlover
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Omnitech 4X8 with 8 tool

Odd Oval Shape

Post by monlover »

Odd Oval shape
I never thought that creating this shape will be this challenging I don't know where to start I tried everything to get this shape consistent also to make it even harder if you can tell the bottom of the groove is slanted it is ¼ out side to 5/8 inside
Can you please tell me where to begin I tried to use the square and smooth corners and use Node editing option but still it does not come matching right to left it looks very bad any help will be greatly appreciated
thank you
Attachments
Oval shape.jpg

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Re: Odd Oval Shape

Post by ElevationCreations »

Usually when we need to do something like this we take an overhead picture with a known measurement in the photo to scale in VCP, convert it to gray scale and import as an image and trace, then work on the nodes of the vectors.

As far as the taper on the bottom, you could try to use the molding tool-path or possibly fluting.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Start by taking a picture perfectly square to the object.You will never be able to get the shapes right working with a picture taken at an angle like that has been :lol: :lol:

monlover
Vectric Craftsman

Post by monlover »

OK,
thank you all for your replies I Created a construction Victor shape and created an oval shape and
squeeze it inside And using note editing I almost have it . now the hard part is to create slope pocket I have read some posts regarding using molding techniques which no mention for any slope beside it came back with error message ( a toolpath was not created check that the there is enough space to fit the entire profile….

Thank you.
Attachments
Oval.jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Have you looked at the fluting toolpath? That might do what you want, it's not a toolpath I have really used myself so can't say for sure. Hopefully one of the experts will come along with some better advice :lol: :lol:

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

The fluting toolpath will be quite complex to setup for this job. The program does one simple thing, for this project it will cut on a vector starting at one depth and plunge steadily to another. To set up fluting paths for this job you would hav an array of parallel lines quite close together representing each tool pass. They will need to be trimmed inside the oval perimeter by half the diameter of the chosen bit.
This is where life gets complicated. Each vector will have a different start depth and depth of plunge. You wil have to construct a crossectional view of the pocket to determine each vector's start and stop depth.
After all that ensure that the start point of each vector is inboard.
I wouldn't approach the problem this way. I would make my pockets flat bottomed and make wedges to fit. I might even cover them with leather for a soft quiet holder.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

To draw the shape I'd just take a grid of measurements off it then use that grid to plot out the shape in VCarve. As the oval looks symmetrical side to side, I'd just take width measurements every 1/2 inch or so up the 6" length. Plot those widths up a 6" centerline in VCarve, then connect the points with short curves. The new polygon drawing tool in 10.5 might come in handy here.

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Post by Bob Jr »

A few months ago, Todd demonstrated a BBQ cutting board design. https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... heBBQBoard
Toward the end of the video he showed how he tilted a drain channel by using a zero plane that was tilted then vectors were projected onto that 3D surface(the zero plane).
It makes more sense by watching his video.
If I interpreted the information correctly, this should work for the bottoms of the ovals...maybe.
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

If I'm looking at the image the way I think I am, the oval seems to be symmetrical with straight sides. If that's the case, then a simple pocketing operation with the "Z" zero being at the center or thickest point on the part. Make the cut depth the 5/8" depth of the inner point of the oval. Make multiple shallow steps for each oval and there will be places during the operation that don't get cut, but the final result will be tapered to 1/4" or what ever the top face tapers to with a flat bottom. I apologize if I'm wrong with my assumptions.

phill05
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Hybrid re-build

Post by phill05 »

monlover wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:35 am
OK,
thank you all for your replies I Created a construction Victor shape and created an oval shape and
squeeze it inside And using note editing I almost have it . now the hard part is to create slope pocket I have read some posts regarding using molding techniques which no mention for any slope beside it came back with error message ( a toolpath was not created check that the there is enough space to fit the entire profile….

Thank you.
If it just the slope you are finding hard to do draw your oval then move over to modelling "create a shape from vector outline" to the thickest part you need then use "tilt to angle", array copy 10 times you have your item.
I did not draw to shape for this example hope it helps.
Phill
tilt.JPG
A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"
—Louis Nizer

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Looks to me like a nice example and good advice Phill. He could even add a merged dome shape for the base.
Steve

monlover
Vectric Craftsman

Post by monlover »

Hi Phill05,
I am running VCP 10.507 and can not find this option anywhere "create a shape from vector outline"
under which menu ?
Thank you

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

monlover wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:13 pm
Hi Phill05,
I am running VCP 10.507 and can not find this option anywhere "create a shape from vector outline"
under which menu ?
Thank you
It's only in Aspire.

monlover
Vectric Craftsman

Post by monlover »

Thank you.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Using VCP 10.x you can use the Clipart 3D Tabs Rectangle_0.5, set the Tilt to suit, set Combine Mode to Subtract then use the Oval vector shape as the Level Clipping boundary. Set the Model Position in Material to set the depth of the shallow end.
Hope this makes sense...
Attachments
Image 947.png
Image 946.png
Odd Oval Shape.crv
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 60 times
John
Maker of Chips