Vector lines versus what the bits cut

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Lhcshoemaker
Model of CNC Machine: I2r

Vector lines versus what the bits cut

Post by Lhcshoemaker »

I’m a bit confused as to where the bits actually cut on a pocket cut, letters in a box. For example with and 1/8 end mill is the center of the bit cutting on the center of the line which would cause the loss of a 1/16 of the font? Or does Vectric compensate for the bit diameter so the entire font remains? A brief explanation of how and where ems and visits cut in orientation with vectors would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre408PRO-10HPHSD-10posATC-WinCNC

Re: Vector lines versus what the bits cut

Post by Mark Bolton »

You pretty much have it correct. The tool diameter you input references off the center line of the bit. So if you choose a pocket tool path the toolpath generated will be offset 1/2 the tool diameter you input.

That said, if your tool is cutting undersize or oversize thats on you to do a test cut, accuracurately measure what your tool and machine are actually cutting, and input that value for your tool diameter.

If you input 1/2" for your tool diameter, but the tool is actually cutting .508", your pocket is going to be oversize.

Lhcshoemaker

Post by Lhcshoemaker »

So on an end mill Vectric calculates the bit diameter therefore leaving the entire font? A vbit always puts the bit point on the line meaning the deeper you cut the more font your removing on both sides of the line? Thanks

Lhcshoemaker

Post by Lhcshoemaker »

So on an end mill Vectric calculates the bit diameter therefore leaving the entire font? A vbit always puts the bit point on the line meaning the deeper you cut the more font your removing on both sides of the line? Thanks

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

No. On both pockets and vcarve cuts, VCarve moves the bit away from the edge the required amount given the depth so that the edge vector is respected. So, on a shallow vcarve toolpath (where the border vectors are close together) the tip of the bit will cut closer to the line than a deeper vcarve.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Further, VCarve will only put the point of a v-bit on the line if you tell it to. For the 3 most used toolpaths:

1. Profile toolpath. If you run a profile path with a v-bit and specify either Outside/Left or Inside/Right rather than On, then it will place the bit one one side or the other. If you specify On, then it will, in fact, put the bit on the line.

2. Pocket toolpath. VCarve will not put the bit on the vector - will always run on one side, touching the boundary vector

3. VCarve toolpath. VCarve will not put the bit on the vector (except in corners). Will always run on one side, touching the boundary vector
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Lhcshoemaker

Post by Lhcshoemaker »

Thank you

Lhcshoemaker

Post by Lhcshoemaker »

Dealguy11, it seems when I pocket the letter face gets smaller the deeper I go which makes it seem asough the point is on the vector or it’s not compensating enough for the depth? Is this programmable? I’m using VCarve pro 10.5. Is th

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If it's cutting more into the letter the deeper you go that sounds like bit deflection/machine flex to me. The software doesn't change how it cuts with an endmill based on depth.

Lhcshoemaker

Post by Lhcshoemaker »

I’m referring to a vbit in regards to deeper = wider
I just want to know what bits do regarding on the lin, in or out of lines or does the program compensate for diameter and depth to leave the entire vector/font?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you turn on the solid preview of the toolpath you can see where the toolpath will cut. Compare that to the 3D preview and you can see that the vector is respected and the slope is away from the vector. If you're seeing different results when cutting then that is an issue with your controller or machine setup assuming that the bits match the parameters that you've told VCarve. Not all 60 degree bits are really 60 degrees for example.

The software will always respect the vector as covered in the replies from others above.

Lhcshoemaker

Post by Lhcshoemaker »

Thanks

Lhcshoemaker

Post by Lhcshoemaker »

Adrian, I attached a pic on a stacked text, the text got messed up at all the transitions of top and bottom
Attachments
6AADAFD5-A8E7-4F17-B420-A1AEF000E772.jpeg
D9A2C6DF-CFEF-4B87-B8FC-68BD53C18AEF.jpeg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Lhcshoemaker wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:16 pm
I’m a bit confused as to where the bits actually cut on a pocket cut, letters in a box.
I think everyone here presumed that when mentioned "pocket cut" you were referring to a "Pocket Toolpath". Is this the case?

If so, you should revisit one of the "Stacked Text" tutorials as there is no "Pocket Toolpath" in them. The letters at the various levels are cut with the "V-Carve / Engraving" (V/E) toolpaths.

Confusingly (as is the case with many Vectric Toolpaths) the V/E toolpath, for the flat portion, creates a toolpath called " V-Carve xyz [Pocket]" to accompany the "V-Carve xyz" v-cutting toolpath. This is not a "Pocket Toolpath" but rather a "[Pocket]" toolpath.

The V/E toolpath properly respects vector boundaries both for the v-bit path and the "[Pocket]" path though.

Lhcshoemaker

Post by Lhcshoemaker »

Sorry for the confusion on this, newbie. How would I solve this issue I had. Looked great till it didn’t and the previews looked good. Thank you