Importing Adobe Illustrator file challenges

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ronrandle
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro8+

Importing Adobe Illustrator file challenges

Post by ronrandle »

Hi, everyone, first time posting on this forum. I'm trying to resolve an issue with importing Adobe Illustrator files into VCarve 8.5. I am a long-time user of Illustrator and use it to design my custom signs. However, when I try to import AI, EPS, or BMP files, they don't appear and are not click-able. Every time I import, a new layer is created but there is nothing on it. My workaround has been to export my Illustrator files as a DXF, unfortunately, my simple vector drawings import into VCarve with THOUSANDS of nodes.

I am using a MacBook Pro running Parallels for Windows, so maybe that's the issue, or perhaps it's a setting or I need to upgrade to 10.5...

If anyone has a suggestion, I could really use some help solving this problem.
Vectric H.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Importing Adobe Illustrator file challenges

Post by Adrian »

You mention BMP along with AI and EPS but the former is a bitmap format so is a completely different thing.

Have you checked the full bounds of the job after importing? It may be that the vectors are there but not on the area you are viewing. Try pressing Ctrl-A (or right click and choose Select All) followed by pressing the F9 key. That will centre any vectors on the material.

If it is an issue with using a Mac and DXF ends up being the only way to get it to work then after importing you can use the "Fit Curves" tool in VCarve to convert all the straight line segments (all the nodes) into bezier curves.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Rob,

You shouldn’t have any problem importing AI or EPS vectors. (In this case, you certainly don’t want to use a BMP format, but that shouldn’t prevent an import either, if importing a bitmap.)

So I’m wondering if the problem is actually coming from your export/save process from Illustrator itself (although it’s difficult to imagine how that is possible).

After you export say, an EPS file from Illustrator, are you able to import/open that same file back into a new blank Illustrator job? Or is that giving you problems, too?

If you want, post a sample EPS and a sample AI file here. I’ll try importing at my end into my own Illustrator, CorelDRAW, VCarve and Aspire to see if the samples work or not.

Note: I see that Adrian made some good suggestions whilst I was writing my post. Try his suggestion of selecting all, then centering to make sure you just aren’t “missing seeing” the vectors after a successful import.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ronrandle

Post by ronrandle »

Thanks, guys, I have tried 'select all - center' and nothing appears or is clickable. The layer is created, but nothing is visible.

I am able to re-open all the files in Illustrator and they look good. I'm attaching the AI and EPS file I've been using as a test. For reference, the test file is a simple cursive H.

I'm sure there is a simple solution but nothing I've tried has worked so far.

Ron
Attachments
Hood CapH copy.ai
(90.71 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Hood CapH.eps
(351.93 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I don't have v8.5 of VCarve installed but I have 7 and 9.5 and I can import or open (both work) the ai file no problem and also in all later versions.

The eps file won't work in 7 but works in 9.5 onwards.

Unless there is something odd about 8.5 I'd say it's something to do with your Mac setup. You could download the trial of the latest version of VCarve and see if that works for you.

ronrandle

Post by ronrandle »

Adrian, thanks for the troubleshooting, I'm glad to hear the files are working for you. Can you tell me if the vectors render with few relatively nodes or is it similar to the sample I sent?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Ron,

I tested importing both your AI and EPS samples into three versions of VCarve Pro...

VCarve version 7.514: AI imports fine, EPS won't (the error message thinks it is a bitmap)

VCarve version 8.024: both import fine

VCarve version 8.517: both import fine

Nodes aren't anywhere near as numerous as a DXF, of course. As-is, they are manageable, but can be reduced by more than half if you use the "Fit Curve to Vectors" tool (set to Bezier). You can reduce even more by using the tool again (and again), but there comes a point where the vectors will be altered/distorted too much with repeated use of the tool. (Or, more accurately, a point of diminished return.)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Strange that the EPS file is giving problems, EPS is normally the best option when working between different programs, it is what I normally suggest people try when they are having problems importing other file formats.
I have signmaking software that I often use for design work & have always exported as EPS. Been using Vectric software since V7 & never had a problem importing EPS files.
All my software is windows based though so maybe it has got something to do with the mac export as Adrian has suggested.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Martin,

Depending what program generates an EPS, the resulting file can have an embedded preview image (bitmap) version of the EPS.

I think that’s why the older versions of the Vectric software threw an error for some EPS imports (i., e.,”file may contain a bitmap”). EPS files that worked, simply did not have an embedded preview image.

My theory is that later software versions were programmed to just ignore any “embedded preview bitmap” that might be contained within the EPS. Only a Vectric Programmer can confirm this.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Gaffboat
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by Gaffboat »

I run V Carve Pro 18.5 on my Mac using the Parallels interface. I was able to import your AI file directly into V Carve with no problems. It did have more nodes than expected, but using the Curve Fit command they were quickly cleaned up. I don't think your problem is the Mac interface. I'm also using the most current version of Illustrator.

ronrandle

Post by ronrandle »

Thanks, everyone, I'm glad to hear the files are actually working so the issue appears to be something else. I appreciate your help and will update when/if I make some progress.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

ronrandle: Try the attached file:
  • saved as AI version 10 (same as original file's version)
  • removed group (Object > Ungroup)
  • converted compound path to separate paths (Object > Compound Path... > Release)
Steven
Attachments
H - no group no compound.ai
AI v10 format
(91.15 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

ronrandle

Post by ronrandle »

Thanks, Adze, I tried and the same thing happened.

I'm pretty good at troubleshooting but this has me stumped. VCarve always shows 'something' imported and creates a new layer every time I import, it's just not visible or clickable.
Attachments
Image 9-16-20 at 12.38 PM.jpeg

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

I have imported hundred of AI files into VCarve (v6.x to 9.5019) and have had something come in as long as it was not a compound path. I'm at a loss to figure out why this happening to you.

After you import my file try selecting all vectors (since there does a appear to be something imported).

Use menu: Edit > Selection > Select All Vectors or press "Ctrl+A"

Then "Zoom active view to selected objects" using the right-most of the three magnifying glasses in the top toolbar or use "Ctrl+F".

Steven

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

ronrandle wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:44 pm
Thanks, Adze, I tried and the same thing happened.

I'm pretty good at troubleshooting but this has me stumped. VCarve always shows 'something' imported and creates a new layer every time I import, it's just not visible or clickable.
The layers are showing that there are no vectors on them from your screenshot. If there is data then the "paper" symbol has a drawing of a square and a circle on it. Yours are all blank.

No idea what is going on as multiple people can import the files you posted including one using a Mac. It does seem like it's something very particular to your setup but I can't imagine what.