Need help expanding tool database

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
John E

Need help expanding tool database

Post by John E »

Hello. I'm just getting started with CNC router carving. I am having difficulty adding specialized tools such as ogee, roundover, etc. to my VCarve Pro database. I watched the Vectric video on tool databases. This video asks the user to draw out the profile of the specialized tool and then add this profile to the database. This is very time consuming. In addition, I might not know the profile of a form tool that I want to add. Does anyone know of a better way to add specialized tools? Is there a large database on the web that I can download. It seems like I'm missing something here. Thanks in advance.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Need help expanding tool database

Post by martin54 »

It shouldn't take long to draw most profiles, don't forget you only want one side of it, think of it as good practice drawing :lol: :lol:

Not sure which ones but I've read that some of the manufacturers provide the profiles for their bits in Vector format so all you need to do is import them.Think Magnate was mentioned at some point but not 100% sure. Worth checking a couple of the Manufacturers websites to see. :lol: :lol:

John E

Post by John E »

Thanks for your reply. Please see this tutorial, which doesn't seem to work with V10.5: I cannot get it to work with VCarve Pro 10.5. I'm finding that there are lots of YouTube videos of V9.0, and some of the clips do not work with V10.5. Please watch the video and let me know what I am missing. Thanks!

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

That's the main problem with searching youtube for tutorials, Vectric update the tutorials so you are better watching the tutorials from the links on the vectric website or from the links in your portal account :lol: :lol:

it's 04.30am here in UK so not got time to check it just now :lol: :lol:

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Tool Database Guide - General Topics
https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... ral_Topics

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I see nothing wrong with the video, his explanation of how to add a form tool is correct.
Some mistakes people make are not having the profile selected when trying to create the form tool, creating a profile with an undercut (this is a common one) and adding a top to the profile.
If you'd could post the crv file with the profile you're having problems creating that would help.
John
Maker of Chips

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Here is a .crv file of some of the most common Form Tool Profiles.
Tooldrawing Profiles.crv
(72.5 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
When using these profiles you must resize to the correct configuration of your purchased Router Bit.

Most manufactures of Router bits are now posting pdf drawings of some of their router bits. Some even have vector drawings you can download and import them into VCarve.

Hope this helps!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

sharkcutup wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:24 pm
Here is a .crv file of some of the most common Form Tool Profiles.

Tooldrawing Profiles.crv

When using these profiles you must resize to the correct configuration of your purchased Router Bit.

Most manufactures of Router bits are now posting pdf drawings of some of their router bits. Some even have vector drawings you can download and import them into VCarve.

Hope this helps!

Sharkcutup
It's not something I have looked at personally but you may find that some of the PDF documents already contain the required vectors, PDF is one of those formats that support both Vector & bitmap data :lol: :lol:

John E

Post by John E »

highpockets wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:38 am
I see nothing wrong with the video, his explanation of how to add a form tool is correct.
Some mistakes people make are not having the profile selected when trying to create the form tool, creating a profile with an undercut (this is a common one) and adding a top to the profile.
If you'd could post the crv file with the profile you're having problems creating that would help.
John, I must not have had all the vectors joined as one for the profile I drew. (I would post it but it's drawn with trial software and unreadable by anyone but me.) After I successfully joined the separate vectors, my shape imported into the tool database with no problem. Thanks everyone!

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Happy to see your problem solved!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004