LArge crucifix

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

LArge crucifix

Post by Xxray »

Large for me, nearly 24". I don't like making this cut often, alot of material wastage which is why I did it in mdf instead of wood. I sprayed a primer on it and sanded it down a bit, I am not the guy to paint it thats for sure.

After doing dozens of this model I finally figured out what I don't like about it, the cross itself. Needs a wood texture, which should be easy in theory but once again, maybe not for me. Might be quite a challenge texturing only the cross and not the entire model, we'll see.
IMG_5596.jpg
IMG_5597.jpg
Doug

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Re: LArge crucifix

Post by RebeccaJ »

Cool project! I wonder if it would be an option for you to try cutting Jesus and the INRI separately to the cross so you can texture the entire cross and then glue or even nail (with small nail pins) those parts to the cross afterwards?
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Kind of agree with Bec on this.

If'n it were me Doug. .. I would build the cross out of two pieces of wood with a lap joint and then glue them together. Then model Jesus and the INRI as separate pieces. A benefit is that you could add more thickness to Jesus.

Would reduce the heck out of material usage.

Just my two cents worth.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

True, would be simple to design another cross and attachment of the model would be simple as well.

I tried drawing a vector [using draw curve tool] around the scroll then tried to remove the bark using the clear component inside selected vectors tool, really thought that would work but it deleted the bark and scroll.
aUntitled.jpg
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Ok I think I figured out what I did wrong, didn't make sense that the clip deleted the scroll along with the bark.

Before that I created a vector boundary around the entire model for something else, then I created the separate vector boundary for the scroll. I tried it again without the entire model having a boundary then redrew the vector for the scroll, and just the bark was deleted from the scroll.
This means I should be able to add wood texture to just the cross, unless someone can think of another method outside of the workaround already discussed - And very happy and excited, have been doing this model for a decade and this is going to breathe new life into it, and IMO make a stellar model even better. Just a question if I can achieve the finesse required to vector the model.
Just a proof of concept test, will have to do some node editing for better results
Just a proof of concept test, will have to do some node editing for better results
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Success, more or less, some details around the fingers are a bit botched but I don't think it will be very noticeable when cut.

Now I'm thinking it looks too wood like, doubt if they would have left bark on the cross, but I like the concept and will play with it further, I do want some kind of texture on the cross.
22Untitled.jpg
Doug

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

Great idea Doug! Let us know how it machines :D
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

jay pieper
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: laguna swift 4x4

Post by jay pieper »

Maybe a light wood grain texture, just a thought.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Open to all ideas, problem is I don't know exactly what I have in mind.
I have found that by reducing the bark height to near nothing gives it a subtle texture without looking like a chunk of firewood.
33Untitled.jpg
Doug

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

Not trying to be picky but if the cross were constructed from two pieces of wood as I'd expect, then the horizontal piece would have a grain texture running 90° to the vertical piece. I would look for a texture that appears more like rough hew wood as opposed to bark.

Just my two cents worth.

Ed

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Nicely done
Thank You
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Finally got around to making one with the revised bark texture on the cross, turned out pretty nice.

IS about 14x 8, 1" walnut. Took about 4 hours with a 1/32 TBN, did roughing for this one too.

Hard to get a decent shot of it without looking too shiny, didn't do anything special with finish, maybe the blank was just a bit oily.
IMG_5836.jpg
I'd like to do a glueup with, say, .5 poplar for a base and .5 walnut on top of that. Would have to be very precise, the background would be all poplar, the top of the sides and the model would be walnut ,,, And on edge, it would be 50/50.
Doug

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Wow, Doug, that came out beautifully!
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I agree!
Choice of the board and the grain Really give a beautiful effect Doug!!
NICE! :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.