Timber used:
Outer edge :Blackwood
Maple
Cherry
African Walnut

V Carve depth 7mm FD
Clear : 1/8 EM
V carve : 30 deg

The Tiger is the logo for an Australian football team... my friend in Melbourne is a crazy fan.
Working on the next one now ... the Hawks.
tiger.jpg
Ron
Crafers Crafts

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Resin Inlay Cutting Board

Post by scottp55 »

Great layup and framing....and the Epoxy came out Wonderful Ron!! :)
Hopefully YOU have another fan! :)
That's a Keepsake job!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Wow! I don't understand using a cutting board as the base! Who, in their right mind, would cut into that piece? :D
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

This is one of those times that you do not switch the two by accident...... unless they have a good sense of humor.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Beautiful. Excellent job.

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 (2014)

Post by mfirlott »

I stand in awe. BEAUTIFUL!!!!
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire
Epilog 45watt Helix Laser

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

Aussie wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:37 am
Timber used:
Outer edge :Blackwood
Maple
Cherry
African Walnut

V Carve depth 7mm FD
Clear : 1/8 EM
V carve : 30 deg

The Tiger is the logo for an Australian football team... my friend in Melbourne is a crazy fan.
Working on the next one now ... the Hawks.

tiger.jpg
Thank you all for your very kind comments.
A few things learned.... don't use Blackwood for the outer frame as it chips and splits when being machined, I like the grain and color and will use it knowing the problems I will have to deal with.
I found the resin easy to use just the wait of 3 days between color changes before flattening and the next pour, I don't know how well the resin will stand up to the cutting.... time will tell, if it gets cut up too badly then a refinish is not a big deal.
From what I have learned I think the Hawk cutting board will turn out better... should be ready to show in the next 2 weeks.
Ron
Crafers Crafts

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Aussie wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:01 am
From what I have learned I think the Hawk cutting board will turn out better... should be ready to show in the next 2 weeks.
Can't wait to see that :D :D

csbrads
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRT 48 x 96

Post by csbrads »

Very nice job! I will give this resin stuff a try.

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

Wow this is amazing! Love the fine detail, I'd be interested in trying something like this, have you tried filling all the resin colours (after cure times) and doing just one flattening procedure? I've only ever done one basic epoxy pour so I'm totally new to working with mixed colours. Thanks for sharing!
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Just a beautiful piece of work. Well done!
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

RebeccaJ wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:43 am
Wow this is amazing! Love the fine detail, I'd be interested in trying something like this, have you tried filling all the resin colours (after cure times) and doing just one flattening procedure? I've only ever done one basic epoxy pour so I'm totally new to working with mixed colours. Thanks for sharing!
Hi Rebecca,
Thank you for your kind comments... this is really my first resin job following a test I did earlier.
It is possible to pour different colours at the same time if you have some separation between the vectors which would allow a dam using hot glue (Mitch method) to ensure you don't get bleeding between the colours, the dam allows you to overfill the vectors reducing bubbles etc. The flattening between the pours only take 5 minutes to pocket at a 0.0 DOC, this allows you then to set the Z 0 for the next V carve, the resin sticks to the end mill and needs to be cleaned each time following the flattening, I have found that a heat gun removes the resin from the EM very quickly. I need to wait at least 3 days for the resin to cure enough to be machined ( after 2 days you can still mark the resin with a fingernail).
I would like to try something more complex with much finer detailed vectors and more colours, as you can see from the tiger I need to improve my node editing skills of the vectors.
I am having fun using resin and I am sure you will as well.
Regards,
Ron
Ron
Crafers Crafts

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

Aussie wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:54 am
RebeccaJ wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:43 am
Hi Rebecca,
Thank you for your kind comments... this is really my first resin job following a test I did earlier.
It is possible to pour different colours at the same time if you have some separation between the vectors which would allow a dam using hot glue (Mitch method) to ensure you don't get bleeding between the colours, the dam allows you to overfill the vectors reducing bubbles etc. The flattening between the pours only take 5 minutes to pocket at a 0.0 DOC, this allows you then to set the Z 0 for the next V carve, the resin sticks to the end mill and needs to be cleaned each time following the flattening, I have found that a heat gun removes the resin from the EM very quickly. I need to wait at least 3 days for the resin to cure enough to be machined ( after 2 days you can still mark the resin with a fingernail).
I would like to try something more complex with much finer detailed vectors and more colours, as you can see from the tiger I need to improve my node editing skills of the vectors.
I am having fun using resin and I am sure you will as well.
Regards,
Ron
It really is a great first attempt! Oh, I see so you are VCarving into the Cured resin to create the next colored part (silly me I should've seen that!) Wow nice work, would really like to try this out, thanks again for sharing this!
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Awesome cutting board!

I do not believe I would cut on that! I would display that! And make another that is not as fancy for actual use!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 (2014)

Post by mfirlott »

Well Aussie I was inspired.

I gave it a whirl using multiple coloured epoxy pours and other than the one mistake (wood snapped off) on the upper letter "L", it turned out great.

My wife opened up an e-commerce press-on nail business and this is the company name and logo.

She loves it and refuses to use the front as a cutting board so she'll flip it when in use :D

Thanks for the inspiration.
Attachments
FNC Cutting Board
FNC Cutting Board
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire
Epilog 45watt Helix Laser