Document Variables

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
TimSchubach
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD MAKO

Document Variables

Post by TimSchubach »

Hi all - I'm trying to use Document Variables for the first time, and something isn't working quite right. If you look at the first attachment, DocVar1, you'll see that I've created a Document Variable named New_Height and assigned it a value of 3.5. DocVar2 shows that when I try to create a circle and I right click in the box for the circle's diameter, New_Height is listed as on option. However, when I select that Document Variable, I can't create the circle since the Apply option is grayed out as shown in DocVar3. Can anyone please explain this? I was planning to use Document Variables fairly extensively, but I need to understand how to use them first.

TIA,
Tim
Attachments
Document Variable New_Height created and assigned a value.
Document Variable New_Height created and assigned a value.
New_Height available for use.
New_Height available for use.
Cannot click Apply after using New_Height.
Cannot click Apply after using New_Height.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Document Variables

Post by highpockets »

Press the "=" key after the variable...
John
Maker of Chips

TimSchubach
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD MAKO

Post by TimSchubach »

highpockets wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:46 am
Press the "=" key after the variable...
Thanks ...

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

Hi All,

In this case then the advice to press the = key is dead right.

When it comes to toolpaths it is often best to keep the document variable as is rather than press equals, because in that case the forumla used is saved with the toolpath and then when you update the variable the toolpath will update upon recalculation, in the same way that using 'Z' or 'T' might.

Adam

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

FYI Document Variables don't work in the Laser Toolpath yet. I was trying to use one in the Power field to make my life easier. I submitted it to Vectric for the wish list.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

wb9tpg wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:22 pm
FYI Document Variables don't work in the Laser Toolpath yet. I was trying to use one in the Power field to make my life easier. I submitted it to Vectric for the wish list.
May I ask why would you like to use document variable in the power field, rather than leverage the tool database?
For example you can define materials in tool db to cater for different power levels appropriate for given material.
If you need to use different power levels for the same material depending on use case (e.g. cutting through/ marking / burning picture etc.) you can make a copy of your laser tool and rename it to include operation.

Greg K

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard

Post by wb9tpg »

gregk wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:05 pm

May I ask why would you like to use document variable in the power field, rather than leverage the tool database?
For example you can define materials in tool db to cater for different power levels appropriate for given material.
If you need to use different power levels for the same material depending on use case (e.g. cutting through/ marking / burning picture etc.) you can make a copy of your laser tool and rename it to include operation.

Greg K
I'm just used to working with document variables. Change the variable; tool paths recalculate and I'm done. Not being able to use Automatic Vector Selection and Associate with Toolpath has messed up the normal way I work. Having to select the layer vectors then recalculate manually is messing with me. I've probably not found the optimum way of working with it yet. I wanted to try a design and may have several tool paths then alter the power setting to see if my test pieces are better or worse. I'm thinking I could try changing a DV and recompiling the tool paths needed.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

wb9tpg wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:46 pm
Not being able to use Automatic Vector Selection and Associate with Toolpath has messed up the normal way I work. Having to select the layer vectors then recalculate manually is messing with me.
The question of day would have to be: why can't you use the "Automatic Vector Selection" and "Associate with Toolpath" options?

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard

Post by wb9tpg »

adze_cnc wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:46 pm
wb9tpg wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:46 pm
Not being able to use Automatic Vector Selection and Associate with Toolpath has messed up the normal way I work. Having to select the layer vectors then recalculate manually is messing with me.
The question of day would have to be: why can't you use the "Automatic Vector Selection" and "Associate with Toolpath" options?
They are not available on Laser tool paths which is why I don't use them. If you're asking why they are not in the product I'd answer "that question is above my pay grade" but in past software projects I architected the first version was usually minimum functionality and enhancements follow on later.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Fascinating... The online help for Aspire 10.5 implies, in the laser toolpath section, that the standard automatic and associate with toolpath options are available:
This area of the toolpath page allows you to automatically select vectors to machine using the vector's properties or position. It is also the method by which you can create Toolpath Templates to re-use your toolpath settings on similar projects in the future. For more information, see the sections Vector Selector and Advanced Toolpath Templates.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard

Post by wb9tpg »

Here is a screen shot from VCP 10.5 Laser Toolpath
Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 12.52.02 PM.png
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA