10.5 and xp

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
sawmiller
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: joe's rack and pinion hybrid

Re: 10.5 and xp

Post by sawmiller »

I have upgraded, but because of the mindset you have, ken, i also have 4 older computers waiting in the wings because people were going to throw them away.
Not all are xp, i have vista, and win7 in there too.
For a hobbiest, a lil downtime is no problem. Whereas buying a 800 dollar etherboard is.
I would say more customers than you think are hobbiest.
woodmizer sawmill and joe's hybrid cnc, a good combination
In the heart of Tn

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

If you are running Malwarebytes, temporarily disable it. If not, disable your virus checker.

Ken,
I was a I.T. Systems Administrator for 20 Years before I retired. I totally agree with your analogy/opinion. With today's technology sometimes the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset just doesn't apply in a hobbyist or professional environment. Stubbornness and unwillingness to grow with the times will almost always come back to haunt you. I'm 73 years old. However, Vectric's attempt to make their software compatible with 15+ year old operating system is heroic and commendable.
Steve

ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's CNC 4x4

Post by ken.gentry »

Totally agree that Vectric is awesome for continuing to find ways to allow their software to run on Windows XP. I wonder what great features Vectric has had to shelve because they are trying to maintain 20 years of backward compatibility.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Sacrifice the many for a few. Doesn't seem logical, does it.
Steve

hooby
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3

Post by hooby »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:05 pm
If you are running Malwarebytes, temporarily disable it. If not, disable your virus checker.
FYI - I updated to 10.506 successfully in the end. Rebooting had no effect. Closing 10.505 before the update had no effect (and anyway the update process is started from the Vcarve program itself via the menu item Help/Check for updates or the link at the top right of the screen)

Steve Nelson was correct though (thankyou) - for some reason Malwarebytes was the problem - and stopping it allows the update to run to completion. It would have been good if Vcarve or Malwarebytes put up a message admitting to the failure though... This has never been a problem in the past .... Ah well...

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Maybe whatever Vectric had to do to make it run on XP is triggering something on MWB that wasn't the case in the past...

Uncle Bob
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3x5 ATC

Post by Uncle Bob »

I use Mach3 with the user interface customized by Legacy. It is running on a solid state Minx computer and Win10. I've lots of issues. Legacy provides a copy of NoVirusThanks program WinUpdateStop 1.3, After I downloaded the update version 1.4 my problems disappeared.
It works so well that I installed it on my old Dell XPS desktop. Stops Windows updates dead in their tracks! Just click on Disable Updates.

Everyone's experience with Windows 10 is different. I do not like software vendors that jam their updates down my throat without first telling me what the update is supposed to fix or "improve."

If / when Aspire runs on Apple, I will rush out and buy a Mac.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Bob

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Windows tells me what the updates are before I install them just as a Mac does.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Adrian wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:59 am
Windows tells me what the updates are before I install them just as a Mac does.
Same here. And for my CNC machine control computer (the only Windows native machine I own), automatic updates are disabled. I update manually once a week or so. My other Windows instance is in Parallels VMs on MacOS and it's only used for Aspire CAD/CAM work in my office. That one is "allowed" to update, but since the VM is only running when I'm actually using it, I do manual updates there, too.

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Release notes say that 10.506 now runs on XP. Anybody confirm that?

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Unless you are using Home Edition of Windows the Windows update service can be disabled in the service manager. I'm not sure if all missed updates will install after it is re-enabled.
Steve

yobuda
Model of CNC Machine: Custom gantry, dual router heads

Post by yobuda »

sawmiller wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:55 pm
Now for a way to connect the 2 so i dont have to play with a usb drive... ethernet and public documents?, might end up with 2 win10 computers in the shop
I use a product called SyncToy. It's old but works great to keep all of my files in sync in both directions.
When I tweak a file on either computer I just run this and within a minute or two everything is the same on both my design and shop computers - no need for a physical connection or USB drive... :D

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Yup. SyncToy is pretty good and easy to use. It got to the point, though, where I needed to sync multiple directories and that's where SyncToy gets cumbersome.

I now use: https://freefilesync.org/. Especially good for me as it is Windows and macOS compatible (and linux for those who desire such things).

bobrickard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop MAX

Post by bobrickard »

Mike-S wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:06 pm
Release notes say that 10.506 now runs on XP. Anybody confirm that?
I was running Windows XP SP3 under Parallels 15.1.4 and macOS Catalina version 10.15.6. I downloaded Aspire 10.507 and the installation failed.

But I was able to find a free install of Windows 10 Home (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MabMpLKWtEQ), created a new Windows 10 virtual machine under Parallels, successfully installed Aspire 10.507 and it works brilliantly.