Cargo Box for my new Electric Motorcycle

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

This was done from plywood scraps I had in my shop. Finished with spar varnish for some UV and moisture protection. Assembled with black oxide coated bolts into stainless steel square nuts I embedded into the plywood. All part were cut out on my CNC, along with some post-CNC work like chamfering the edges on my non-CNC router table. The MC has a main beam that the box clamps around. I used 1/16" thick cork for friction and protecting the beam.
Cargo box on OSA+.jpg
Although I use Aspire, any of the cheaper software could have been used. The box is 22" square and 10" tall.

4D

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Re: Cargo Box for my new Electric Motorcycle

Post by jimwill2 »

The craftsmanship is very good! My concern would be unsecured weight in the box could shift and throw the rider off-balance. Be very, very, careful!
Jim Williams

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Not to worry, Jim, but your advice is always appreciated. I've been riding 2-wheelers since I was in college (1984ish) and know very well what the dynamics of loads, including passengers, can do on a ride. My intention for this cargo box is quick trips to the grocery store where I'll load my cart until I know the cargo box will be packed solid. I've also got a few bungie cords I can take along to strap down what might be loose if I'm planning on hauling less than a packed box.

All this effort is part of my goal to be less dependent on gas burning vehicles. Where I live the grid is more and more being powered by wind turbines rather than coal. My next house will have solar panels covering the shed roof angled for catching the rays.

4D

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Cool cargo box and cool wheels, 4D!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Thanks Michael. I've wanted an electric MC for the last 10 years or so but none that were available stood out enough to peak my interest. This one, designed by a Swedish company, has won several design awards for it's features. https://ridecake.com/

4D

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you for that link! Very interesting line-up of various models - and they all look useful and fun! (Don’t try the air stunts, though!)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Very Nice all around 4D !! :)
Need some panels for charging it :wink:
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Not a bad idea Scott, although I always park it in the shade or my garage if possible. I remember when I was a kid you could buy a little generator that you could mount so the spinning bike tire could power a headlight. Seems as though in the last 5 decades since then there should be something far more efficient (like regen) that would keep the battery charged as you rolled along. :D Add a little wind turbine and surely the net gain should be enough so a solar panel wouldn't be needed. :wink:

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

:)
Yep....back when I owned the bicycle shop in early 80's,Sanyo came out with roller type bicycle generator that ran on the ridge of the tire(perfect for Specialized tires) that had minimal rolling resistance.
Hook it to fan blades..Voila:)

Keep thinking 4D....be the first on the block with a Perpetual Rolling Machine! :wink: :wink:
Nice rig!
scott
(wonder if they'd let you go down the aisles with that:)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Nice piece of work. I just recently got an electric bike and have been thinking about making a carrier. Thanks for the inspiration.

Paul
Cobblewood Carver

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Thanks Paul. Happy to share, just no warranty on the idea. I'm not really sure how well the plywood will hold up if it sits in the sun all day while I'm at work. This is where a solar cell shade roof might come in useful. I do have a patio umbrella I might be able to rig up a holder for though..... ;)

About riding down grocery aisles at least the lack of a belching tailpipe should reduce complaints. The rider carts they provide for the less-ambulatory are electric. The grocery I normally shop at is quite a dense madhouse at the entrance. The aisles are all wide and long, but not quite wide enough to do a u-turn with the bike in. I suspect I'll just park it in the lot outside. I intended to go early today but a rain shower dissuaded me.

4D

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

splended idea, and execution.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Well, for the moment this EV bike is on it's way back to the factory. In the photo I posted above you can see a crack in the short white tube just under the handlebars, and below the black zip-tie. :o I didn't notice this frame crack until coming out from the county courthouse where I was registering the bike. A kind soul had left a note on the bike. "You have a cracked frame up front!", it said. As I was reading the note the chap who wrote it walked over and introduced himself. We chatted for a couple minutes about the wisdom of riding the bike with the crack in the frame, but as I'd ridden it there I had to ride it home. The crack opens up as much as 1/4 inch when off the kickstand, but there is another pipe inside the white pipe that isn't cracked.

The company president contacted me to have me deliver it to a local shop that could crate it up and ship it back. I did that Friday. They'll be sending me a new bike, which I expect to hear about sometime this coming week.

4D

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

It took awhile, but I just got a FedEx shipping notice that my replacement is on the way. For my trouble they've upgraded it with a $1k larger battery/longer range option at no cost to me.

4D

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Wow! Excellent upgrade!!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC