10.5 is COMING SOON - Watch this space

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: 10.5 is COMING SOON - Watch this space

Post by ger21 »

There's already a tool that converts Beziers to curves.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

ger21 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:16 pm
There's already a tool that converts Beziers to curves.
Yeah, but that's cool one at a time. Unless there's a tool I'm unaware of?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Anything that is not straight is a "curve".

An arc is a curve, but it is a special type of curve in that it is radial.

I am curious as to why the small segments are an issue to begin with? Back in Neanderthal days memory was an issue as well as processing speed.

A cnc machine does not cut true arcs, in fact, it cannot even cut a curve. All moves are small straight lines. By programming a G2/G3 move the control is required to do a ton of internal calculations. Obviously that is not a problem. (see below)

The only time I have seen an issue with lots of small moves is at extremely high feed rates with an old antique (now) neanderthal control. The short moves would eventually empty the buffer and the machine stuttered along. Interestingly enough, the same problem could be seen at a slightly higher feedrate with arcs.

So, what great benefit will we all receive by making everything true arcs?

Edit:

BTW, I like designing with bezier curves, they are far superior to trying to fit arcs to a curve that is constantly changing. When arcs are fit to a bezier curve some accuracy is lost. I would much rather have the software calculate the required points on the curve so that I actually cut the curve I created.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

In linuxCNC if my arcs are sort line segments they cut much slower than true G2/G3 arcs or circles do. I has to do with acceleration/deceleration at each node point.

4D

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

4DThinker wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:39 pm
In linuxCNC if my arcs are sort line segments they cut much slower than true G2/G3 arcs or circles do. I has to do with acceleration/deceleration at each node point.

4D
No constant velocity in that control?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Stephanie Downing
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: xxx

Post by Stephanie Downing »

COMING SOON to version 10.5:

In the profile toolpath we stopped repeated retracts and plunges when cutting on open vectors to reduce machining times and make the whole process more efficient.🎉

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Post by kstrauss »

The problem of acceleration/deceleration at each node point can be largely addressed by changing the required blending accuracy (G61 and G64) and/or by using a version of LinuxCNC with the improved trajectory planner that was implemented a few years ago (added in version 2.7 I believe).

Another suggestion is that it would be nice if Vectric were to convert the Bezier curves to NURBS (Non-uniform rational basis spline) for which there is native support in LinuxCNC.

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kstrauss »

Looking at the video clip it appears that by removed the retracts/plunges on open curves the cutter alternates climb and conventional milling. Can this be controlled?

Stephanie Downing
Vectric Staff

Job Templates - COMING SOON in 10.5 🎉

Save your commonly use file settings, such as width, height and machining parameters as templates to save on set-up time!

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

Super Cool!!!
Thanks,
Jim

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mikehell »

TReischl wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 pm
Anything that is not straight is a "curve".

An arc is a curve, but it is a special type of curve in that it is radial.

I am curious as to why the small segments are an issue to begin with? Back in Neanderthal days memory was an issue as well as processing speed.

A cnc machine does not cut true arcs, in fact, it cannot even cut a curve. All moves are small straight lines. By programming a G2/G3 move the control is required to do a ton of internal calculations. Obviously that is not a problem. (see below)

The only time I have seen an issue with lots of small moves is at extremely high feed rates with an old antique (now) neanderthal control. The short moves would eventually empty the buffer and the machine stuttered along. Interestingly enough, the same problem could be seen at a slightly higher feedrate with arcs.

So, what great benefit will we all receive by making everything true arcs?

Edit:

BTW, I like designing with bezier curves, they are far superior to trying to fit arcs to a curve that is constantly changing. When arcs are fit to a bezier curve some accuracy is lost. I would much rather have the software calculate the required points on the curve so that I actually cut the curve I created.
Yes. I worked with a machine from the stone age that would crash after uploading more then 256K. That's 256k at a whopping 9600 baud.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mikehell »

Stephanie Downing wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:41 pm

In the profile toolpath we stopped repeated retracts and plunges when cutting on open vectors to reduce machining times and make the whole process more efficient.🎉

Does this mean we have an option to not default every setting to the last one used? That has been a problem for me in the past. Someone goes in and uses the software, changes something from what it was, doesn't tell anyone. Next thing you know you've broken a bit or ruined a piece of stock.

Stephanie Downing
Vectric Staff

Mikehell wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:35 pm
Stephanie Downing wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:41 pm

Does this mean we have an option to not default every setting to the last one used? That has been a problem for me in the past. Someone goes in and uses the software, changes something from what it was, doesn't tell anyone. Next thing you know you've broken a bit or ruined a piece of stock.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your question.

Not quite, this enhancement will reduce machining times by minimizing the amount of moves in the air when using the profile toolpath.

The issue you are encountering appears to be as a result of having multiple users accessing the same license, which is in fact a breach of your licence agreement.

Thanks
Stephanie

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kstrauss »

I hate to pester but you didn't answer my question: Can I disable the new behaviour for open paths in order to avoid having my machine do both conventional and climb cutting?

Stephanie Downing
Vectric Staff

kstrauss wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:56 pm
I hate to pester but you didn't answer my question: Can I disable the new behaviour for open paths in order to avoid having my machine do both conventional and climb cutting?
Hi kstrauss,

Sorry for the delay in responding to you.

This feature only applies when cutting a profile on an open vector. When cutting either inside or outside of a vector then we will use the selected conventional or climb cutting.

I hope this helps!

Have a great day.