Sandpaper grits...now the same on the pond:)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Re: Sandpaper grits...now the same on the pond:)

Post by Tailmaker »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:23 pm
This air compressor discussion was surprisingly timely since my 2 year old Porter Cable 30 gallon compressor just developed two cracks in the tank where the wheel supports were welded.

I'm checking if it is covered under their 3 year warranty, but if it isn't then my wife and daughter enthusiastically support the idea of a quieter replacement compressor.
yikes. You know waht 30 gallons of air at e.g. 100 psi can do to you when that thing fails? I would not use it anymore.
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Tailmaker wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:52 am
... replace my GAST and Thomson vacuum pumps for hold down....
I've often wondered if a compressor connections could be reversed and used as a vacuum storage system?
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Tailmaker wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:54 am
Rcnewcomb wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:23 pm
This air compressor discussion was surprisingly timely since my 2 year old Porter Cable 30 gallon compressor just developed two cracks in the tank where the wheel supports were welded.

I'm checking if it is covered under their 3 year warranty, but if it isn't then my wife and daughter enthusiastically support the idea of a quieter replacement compressor.
yikes. You know waht 30 gallons of air at e.g. 100 psi can do to you when that thing fails? I would not use it anymore.
Could be worse, our HP Air bottles were charged to 4000psi. Test pressure when done was 6000psi but testing was done with water because in the event of a faulure the pressure dropped to zero in no time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

Tex_Lawrence wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:08 pm
Tailmaker wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:52 am
... replace my GAST and Thomson vacuum pumps for hold down....
I've often wondered if a compressor connections could be reversed and used as a vacuum storage system?
I am sure this is possible with this style of pump. They are oil-less which eliminates the oil fume mess with some other types of compressors when used for vacuum.

But it works the other way round as well. When I built my vacuum system with a GAST pump, in my haste I reversed the inlet and outlet for the first test. As a result, my vacuum reservoir, consisting of 4" ABS plastic pipes exploded with a huge bang. Fortunately it just blew off the glued-on end caps and did no damage other than to my eardrums.
Puzzle, Finger Joint, Maze and Guilloche freeware at https://fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software/

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

martin54 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:04 pm
Could be worse, our HP Air bottles were charged to 4000psi. Test pressure when done was 6000psi but testing was done with water because in the event of a faulure the pressure dropped to zero in no time :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, it could be worse :mrgreen:
I did a quick calculation. If I am not mistaken 30 gallons air volume at 100 psi have an energy content of 78 kJ. That is roughly equivalent to half an ounce (15 grams) of dynamite (or a quarter of the TNT charge of a hand grenade).
Yeah, could be worse but I would not like to be next to it when it goes off. There may be shrapnel involved as well. :shock:
Well, somebody better check my calculation.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Tailmaker wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:55 am
... TNT charge of a hand grenade ... not like to be next to it when it goes off. There may be shrapnel involved as well.... somebody better check my calculation.
I'm of the opinion that since there are no explosives involved, it is unlikely that this leak will do much more than leak. Having said that, it isn't likely to improve without intervention. I would suggest a welding patch job or replacement.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

TJCornish
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger III

Post by TJCornish »

Tex_Lawrence wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:11 am
I'm of the opinion that since there are no explosives involved, it is unlikely that this leak will do much more than leak. Having said that, it isn't likely to improve without intervention. I would suggest a welding patch job or replacement.
The first rule of welding pressure tanks is that you don’t weld pressure tanks. Even if you make it airtight, the welding heat can weaken the tank making it even more likely to explode. If it leaks it’s a goner.

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard

Post by Tailmaker »

Tex_Lawrence wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:11 am
......I'm of the opinion that since there are no explosives involved, it is unlikely that this leak will do much more than leak. Having said that, it isn't likely to improve without intervention. I would suggest a welding patch job or replacement.
Please do not take this lightly. Google "compressor tank explosion" pictures. Apparently it does not happen often but once a crack develops, the tank can let go and release its energy just like an explosive. If you are lucky, the crack is big enough to not let the pressure build but that is a gamble.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Funny how threads morph.
Glad to know there ARE quiet air compressors!
My 220v/14amp/30 gallon Delta...usually causes a Jump and "What the He** was THAT?"
When cutting on table saw, it 5 feet behind me...it's kicked on...and after bp lowers....I reset my cut :)

Lowered my tank pressure to 60psi instead of 90 today until I can inspect the 25 yr old tank closely.
No Grandson around to tourniquet up my arm and leg!! :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVP_A7eGYxw

Thanks guys!!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

I just got a California Air Tools 2010A for airbrushing and portability (nailer, etc). It's QUIET. It sits right next to me where I paint and airbrush. I still have my noisy shop air compressor.

Salmon's lair
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRS Alpha 120-60

Post by Salmon's lair »

martin54 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:32 am
Well I don't think I will be trying it in a hurry based on these prices on my side of the pond :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mirka-9A-232-A ... 394&sr=8-1

Martin,

I have changed abrasives from Mirka Abranet to Mirka Autonet, it’s around half the price and works just the same, the only difference is the backing is slightly stiffer

Paul

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Thanks for that Paul, I will have a hunt about to see :lol: :lol:

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Update on the compressor: It is covered under warranty. A replacement unit is on its way. Since the garage is attached to the house I'm still seriously considering getting a California Air 60040CAD since it is 20 DB quieter and has twice the tank size -- 60 gallon vs 30.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

TomGB
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SharkHD4

Post by TomGB »

Unfortunately my dust collection is limited to leaving the garage door open and a large fan. Wife's not that happy about it as her car is in the line of fire.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

Damn you guys. Read here about the quiet compressors at Harbor Freight and had to go get me one. Spent $360 while there. Ugh. That place is to me what Ikea is to my wife.