Trouble closing vectors

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
luckyjsw
Model of CNC Machine: XCarve XL

Trouble closing vectors

Post by luckyjsw »

I cannot find the answer to my problem after searching forum and watching all available tutorial videos.

When I am designing a project, and have some open vectors, oftentimes when I try to use the "Join Open Vectors" tool (or select 2 nodes that I want to try to join together to close a vector, no matter which option I choose, (straight line, smooth curve or common endpoint) the software tries to join my node to another (unwanted) node in another part of the drawing.

In other words, instead of hooking right to the node I want, which is only a few mm away, a long line is formed, hooking my node up to a random node somewhere far removed from the area I am working. This has been a problem for me since I started using VCarve, and I have been unable to determine why it happens and how to avoid it,
I selected both nodes.
I selected both nodes.
Right clicked and chose "close vector with a straight line.
Right clicked and chose "close vector with a straight line.
And this is the result...
And this is the result...

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Re: Trouble closing vectors

Post by BillK »

Vectors can only be joined end to end. So you can’t join the end of one to somewhere in the middle of another. You’ll have to trim the lower one, select both vectors with the mouse and the shift key pressed. Then you can select join. The program is closing the vector, which is what you need to happen to be able to carve the feature, or create a model component.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

Pull that node all the ways through the line you want to intersect and use the clip to cut it off.

Bob

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can also use the Extend Vectors tool.

tcoplin
Model of CNC Machine: Shark 510

Post by tcoplin »

I am just learning VCarve. How do you route a straight line? Can one join/close a straight line vector without joining the two end nodes?
What is the difference between "join" and "close"?

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

tcoplin wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:25 pm
I am just learning VCarve. How do you route a straight line? Can one join/close a straight line vector without joining the two end nodes?
I suggest that you start with some of the training videos.

https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... ingStarted

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

tcoplin wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:25 pm
Draw a line using the polyline tool or any other vector tool (Square, Rectangle, Circle, etc). It doesn't have to be a straight line or closed. Then. using a Profile toolpath, assign a tool and a depth of cut. As Gkas suggested, you really should watch the videos. They are very good and will help you tremendously.

A closed vector, like a circle, has no end points. An open vector has two endpoints. Joining is for connecting two open vectors.
Steve

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

More times then not, you have two vectors sitting on top of each other but connected somewhere. You can play around different ways to find it, but one of the easier ways is draw a few parallel lines though them and cut between the lines to separate them. Then select duplicate vectors.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Help-Help Contents will almost always provide the answer when you need information about how a tool behaves.

Joining consists of connecting 2 vector ends together. If they are the two ends of a single vector, the result is a closed vectors. Closing vectors turns 1 or more vectors into a closed vector.

A closed vector does not have any unconnected ends. A line is an open vector. A circle is a closed vector.

A vector cannot be connected to itself or another to make a T intersection. If you were using it to cut a profile, the program would not know which way to go when the tool came to the intersection.

VCarve and Pocket toolpaths both require Closed vectors. There can be problems if the vector loops or folds back over itself.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

tcoplin
Model of CNC Machine: Shark 510

Post by tcoplin »

Thanks all. I am working my way through the videos and the help documentation. Sometimes however it is still difficult to tease out small roadblocks.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

We would all love for it to be cut and dry but unfortunately that is not the case.

There a so many factors involved! Just imagine what the programmers have had to deal with in creating and overcoming many obstacles that has already been accomplished within Vectric's Software.

Just some of the various obstacles that can impede vectors from becoming "joined vectors:

Vectors in a Group
Overlapping vectors
Very tiny Stray Vectors within vicinity of vectors that a user may be trying to join
and so on etc....

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

When I come across a vector that is tending to be a problem. I accept it as a challenge! It keeps the ole brain at top notch!

When a user begins to add layers and vector groups to the equation that is when things really become interesting and even more Challenging! Not to mention the differences in toolpaths when using vectors!!!

ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005