Problem with 3D cut job

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Ken Tipton
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Problem with 3D cut job

Post by Ken Tipton »

Hello All

I am trying to cut out the files provided by Nextwave for their chess board. I am not sure if anyone else has cut these out or not. I have found a few issues with their write up so I am not sure if the files have any issues as well. I just started on the pawns and the bottom side base does not cut out the same as it previews in VCarve. I made sure my material was the correct dimensions and used the correct bits. The top which gets done first is fine. the bottom roughing is fine. It is the bottom final that cuts away to much material. The height of this cut does not exceed my Z clearance I have at least 2 inches above the material to spare. I can e-mail the CRV as it was a free file but they are to large to attach to this post. I can post addition information if needed. Thank you in advance for any help

Files can be found here:
https://www.nextwaveautomation.com/cncprojectplans

Look for this file PIRANHA PAWN VCARVE FILES: CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail2.jpg

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Problem with 3D cut job

Post by sharkcutup »

What was the thickness of your material before the start of carving? If it more or less than 1.78 thick and you did not make adjustments in the material setup then unwanted conditions can exist. Improper placement within fixture could also create unwanted conditions too!

Will need more information (such as material thickness, your .crv file posted here or at a site like dropbox with a link to the file, etc...) in order to determine what may have been the root cause of your issue.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Ken Tipton
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ken Tipton »

This is the second piece I tried to cut out and the first one had the same results. The first one was at a thickness of 1.75 and I did not adjust the material size in the software and thought that, that was my issue. For the one posted above the material thickness is exactly 1.78 as I thought that was my issue. For placement and alignment I am using the jig that the plans said to make. I made them exactly as the plans called for and mounted it to my machine bed. For set up I do the following.
1. I make sure the piece is absolutely square and center in the jig
2. I run the "alignment" hole" file on the material to create index holes
3. I put the pins in the Jig and flip the material over. (At this point the material is pinned in correct placement before anything is carved)
4. I run the 3 top CRV files This gives me Roughing, then Placement Holes and last one Final Pass.
5 I flip the material and pin in place and clamps.
6. I run the the "Bottom" files. (Note I z zero off the top of material for the top and at the base of material for the bottom)
7. After running the Bottom Roughing file all is well.
8. When running the Bottom Finish file the I can see the ball nose milling away the base where it shouldn't be.

Here are the .crv files I used. I made no changes at all, I just made sure to pick the same bits as it called for.

https://www.nextwaveautomation.com/cncprojectplans
Look for this file PIRANHA PAWN VCARVE FILES: CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

I couldn't find all the information for my bit so I left the information default as to what was in the provided .crv I am using this bit
https://www.vortextool.com/catalogsearc ... t/?q=+2205

let me know if anymore information is needed

Ken Tipton
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ken Tipton »

I received the drawing for my bit and the only difference is that the default bit in the .crv is 5deg taper and my bit is 3.5deg taper. I will make the adjustment but not sure that is the issue.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

The angle on the TBN shouldn't make any difference to how deep it carves. Haven't downloaded & looked at your files. When you run the toolpath preview for the job do things look right or can you see the errors you are getting in the toolpath preview??

Ken Tipton
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ken Tipton »

The preview looks correct. The thing I find strange is that it cuts it in a straight line, It isn't even cutting it at a arc at the wrong height it just tops out and then goes straight across. Is there a max Z setting that I am missing?

Ken Tipton
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ken Tipton »

The preview looks correct. The thing I find strange is that it cuts it in a straight line, It isn't even cutting it at a arc at the wrong height it just tops out and then goes straight across. Is there a max Z setting that I am missing?

Ken Tipton
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ken Tipton »

Any Thoughts?? I am at a complete loss

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

Go to the Shark forum. There are a lot of posts on it there. One that I saw says on the pawn the Z clearance is set too high, I think 1.86, on the second side file that you are having trouble with. Since that is close to the clearance you say you have, you may be exceeding the Z travel and losing the Z zero. Go to the tool side, check the material set up and the Z clearance located near the bottom. Set it to the same as the first file you are using for the other side.

Hope that helps.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

My first thought is you might have a Tramming issue, your spindle/router tilted side to side or nod front to rear. Another issue is you may not be squaring the material to how the spindle/router is. In my spoil board, I took a engraving bit and made reference cuts a couple thousandths deep every 12" in both the X and Y direction, then colored them in with a pencil, which is where I square my material to. I once had an issue with my miter saw being off 1° which I thought I was cutting the material square, but was off several thousandths after the cut.

Gary

Ken Tipton
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ken Tipton »

BillK wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:05 pm
Go to the Shark forum. There are a lot of posts on it there. One that I saw says on the pawn the Z clearance is set too high, I think 1.86, on the second side file that you are having trouble with. Since that is close to the clearance you say you have, you may be exceeding the Z travel and losing the Z zero. Go to the tool side, check the material set up and the Z clearance located near the bottom. Set it to the same as the first file you are using for the other side.

Hope that helps.
I tried this and same effect. With the bit in place I have over 2.25'" of space between the bit and the TOP of the material. I changed the home Z to 2" which is almost 1/4" more then it was. The defect is exactly the same no change in size. I attached pictures of my set up.
Attachments
Setting for the top No Problems
Setting for the top No Problems
Settings for the Bottom Has defect
Settings for the Bottom Has defect
Material Setup
Material Setup

Ken Tipton
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ken Tipton »

With my bit in the chuck and the Z at its limit I have the following measurements

From the Bit to the Bed 4.75" Gap
From the Bit to the Bottom of Material 4.03" Gap
From the Bit to the Top of Material 2.25" Gap

So if I set a gap of 2 inches about my material I should not be maxing out my Z travel.

Thanks for the help everyone
Ken

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Okay this may sound like a silly/crazy question --- Why are you changing the SAFE Z from Side one (TOP) to side two (BOTTOM)???
Even the Home position Z Changes from TOP to BOTTOM!!!
Isn't the material in a fixture at a fixed position?

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Ken Tipton
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Ken Tipton »

sharkcutup wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:40 pm
Okay this may sound like a silly/crazy question --- Why are you changing the SAFE Z from Side one (TOP) to side two (BOTTOM)???
Even the Home position Z Changes from TOP to BOTTOM!!!
Isn't the material in a fixture at a fixed position?

Sharkcutup
Yes Material is in a fixture.

The software is doing that. I assume it is because this job is set up to Zero off the Top of the material for the first cut and Zero off the base of the material for the second cut. so the safe Z is set at .2. When zeroing of the top you only need .2 clearance. when zeroing off the bottom you need .2 plus the thickness of your material in this case 1.78 so 1.78 plus .2 is 1.98. This is my first time doing 3D machining and it is driving me crazy. walnut blanks aren't cheap and I am to lazy to mill up more cheap wood.

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

Just one other quick question: are you using the post processor for your machine to save the toolpaths for both sides? I know it defaults to Shark toolpaths in the crv file.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz