Question about adding tree leaf texture

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3X5

Question about adding tree leaf texture

Post by jssussex@gmail.com »

I have a person who want's me to carve their logo and make the tree with a relief. Currently I'm looking at using the pebble texture for the tree. Looking for any other suggestions. The tree carving will be 30 x 30 so the tree top itself will be about 18 x15. I'm using a bark texture for the trunk. The customer wants it all natural. I'd love to add a green tint to the leaves, color to the trunk and lettering, but the customer is always right. :?

So any suggestion for the texture in the tree?
tree pebble texture.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Question about adding tree leaf texture

Post by highpockets »

Try Textures.com
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

OK just my own personal opinion but often customers don't know as well as we do what works, what doesn't work or what things will look like when finished & it's down to us (to some degree) to educate them. I worked like that for years as a signmaker doing cad cut vinyl & digital print & it worked well for me.

If this were my Customer then I would show them a visual of the complete job both with a natural finish & one with the extra colour you think it needs, it's then up to the customer to decide what they feel is best. Think of the extra colour as an upsale as it will obviously cost more but for a visual it is only going to take you a few mins (at most) to add the colour..

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything like that, but I think the tree is too busy and (I personally) like to see more detail.
Here is one that I do and get many complements on.
If your interested, I will be happy to send it to you.
Apparently the file is to large to post here.
PREVIEW.jpg
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice

Jan Vanderlinden Thank you for your input but unfortunately the tree "is" there logo so that can't change they jsut want a sign identical to there logo. I've showed them a virutal image on how color would look and the owner still wants to stay natural. Additionally I wanted to do a live edge since they are a tree service but they wanted a cleaner line.

jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice

martin54 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:55 pm
OK just my own personal opinion but often customers don't know as well as we do what works, what doesn't work or what things will look like when finished & it's down to us (to some degree) to educate them. I worked like that for years as a signmaker doing cad cut vinyl & digital print & it worked well for me.

If this were my Customer then I would show them a visual of the complete job both with a natural finish & one with the extra colour you think it needs, it's then up to the customer to decide what they feel is best. Think of the extra colour as an upsale as it will obviously cost more but for a visual it is only going to take you a few mins (at most) to add the colour..
Martin I did show the customer some samples with suggest =ed color and even a live edge suggestion. I think they spending a lot of money for a pretty plain carving. Thanks for you suggestions.

wstrong
Model of CNC Machine: work bee

Post by wstrong »

Did you ever get this done? Curious as to what you did. :?:

jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice

wstrong wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:44 am
Did you ever get this done? Curious as to what you did. :?:
A few weeks back I asked advice on creating a relief carving of a tree based on a logo. The client had very specific ideas. I actually presented her with 3 carved options with Aspire images to show both a straight on and angled view.
1. background removed with the tree proud,
2. Dished
3. Just carved out (her original request)
and the option to add color or not.
The client chose the basic recessed carving and a natural color

I built a 3 board glue up of 6/4 edge White oak / surfaced planed to 1.25 and carved to base depth of 0.7". Final size was 34Wx36 H.

The relief carving is with a 1/8" 2 degree ball nose carved vertically with the grain at 150 ipm 24000 . The texture is bark for the tree trunk and gravel for the crown of the tree.

I chose a 90 degree v-Bit profile cut on the perimeter of the carving so the recess wasn't so harsh.I really like the look . The lettering was a 90 degree v-bit and the (r) registration logo was cut with a 20 deg v-bit. All are double cut to remove the ragged chips in the carving. The border edge is hand carved random. She had seen some of my other examples and really prefer this to other borders.

I sprayed General Finishes High performance semigloss to get the relief to pop. 2 coats before carving; carved the piece, spraved a coat in the lettering and then stained the lettering, then 3 more top coats using 3M Scotch-Brite Pads the relief carving to buff between coats. I use 150 grit for the surface, then 220 before the last coat is sprayed. This is the third logo to relief carving I've done. They are very challenging to create a look from a flat piece.
Pleased Client and I with a paycheck in my pocket.
Pleased Client and I with a paycheck in my pocket.
20200610_084207(Copy).jpg
20200610_084156(Copy).jpg
20200610_084132(Copy).jpg
logo design was based on
logo design was based on

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you for showing us the photos, Jim!

You made your client very happy! Looks like you’re happy, too! (Paycheck in pocket - a win-win.)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC