Really stumped

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Denny
Model of CNC Machine: shark HD5

Really stumped

Post by Denny »

I am stumped on this problem. Shark HD5 regular bed, running desktop.
Here is what has me stumped, I have desktop on 2 different computers, one is a desktop and the other is a laptop. Should I be able to start a program on the desktop and finish it on the laptop? Reason for trying this is I have a friend asking for a sign, in a script font. I have the font on the desktop but not the laptop. So I have ran the tool path on the desktop, it ran thru just fine, them I saved the project to a thumb drive then went to the shop. I plugged the thumb drive into the pendant there was no project. Took the drive out, plugged it into the laptop, the code should up, but not the project it’s self.
What if anything is wrong?

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Really stumped

Post by gkas »

You're going to have to be more specific in your description. You seem to be using program, project, code, etc. in an interchangeable manner. Be specific about Vcarve project, CNC gcode program, etc. Example: "I plugged the thumb drive into the pendant there was no project". Do you mean toolpaths? Where did you save the vCarve project (.crv)? Did you generate toolpaths?

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

Also confused however, I believe he saved the toolpaths and not the .crv file. Need to clarify :?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As the others have said you will need to be a little more specific, if you saved the project from vcarve (ie a crv file) then it won't show on your pendant controller, you would need to use the vcarve program on the laptop to open the project.That may cause you problems if you don't have the correct fonts installed & you haven't converted the text to curves.
If you saved the toolpaths then they should show on the pendant, if they do not then it may be a corrupt memory stick or you have removed the memory stick from the desktop to soon & files have not completed writing.

As for using vcarve on 2 different machines, make sure you keep the versions the same, if you update the desktop at home then any files created on that won't open on the laptop until you update the laptop. Vcarve uses the fonts that are stored in the windows font folder, there is no seperate font folder or font management within the Vectric software other than the single line fonts which you can't add to anyway :lol:
I always make sure that the windows font folders match so I don't have problems with text between different machines :lol: :lol: :lol:

Denny
Model of CNC Machine: shark HD5

Post by Denny »

Ok I have read the replies. I am not a collage grad, and not a genius with pc's, I am 70 years old and have had my CNC sense the 1st of December 2019. I don't know all the jargon that is used, therefor I posted what was going on with what I was trying to do the best way I could
Maybe Vectric should start a forum for people that are dumb,
Denny

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

On your desktop, just save the file as a normal .crv and copy it to your thumb drive. When V-Carve tries to open the file, the program limits the selection to only acceptable file types. That's probably why it isn't listed when you try to open it on the thumb drive. BTW I'm 73. Us old codgers should stick together and show them that it's never too late to learn.
Last edited by SteveNelson46 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Denny, when using a thumb drive make sure to ALWAYS use the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon in the task bar just before removing the thumb drive from your computer. If you don't you're risking corrupting the thumb drive and even permanently damaging the thumb drive.
John
Maker of Chips

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

Denny wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:22 pm
Ok I have read the replies. I am not a collage grad, and not a genius with pc's, I am 70 years old and have had my CNC sense the 1st of December 2019. I don't know all the jargon that is used, therefor I posted what was going on with what I was trying to do the best way I could
Maybe Vectric should start a forum for people that are dumb,
Denny
Denny, I don’t believe any of the reply’s made were condescending in any way. This forum is the most helpful of any forums I’ve belonged to. Believe me I’m 78 years old myself and trying to learn all the jargon.
Everyone here has been there before.
Keep asking your questions and you will find the answers.

Enjoy your CNC journey. It’s addictive :mrgreen:

OBTW, My definition of PC is personally confusing

Ron

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

And I always thought PC was defined as "Personally Comical"

Learn something new every day!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Denny, there are a lot of us on this forum who are 70+ years old. But we are sneaky bunch, from the way we write you would think that we were maybe 25. That said, it does help us, help you, if you can adapt to the jargon that is typically used.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Denny, I am a retired engineer (old farts club). I am really young at 66.
I am teaching a 75 year old friend and also a 72 year old friend this CNC stuff.
I am constantly helping them with jargon.

None of us think you are dumb.
We just need to understand a little better, that's all.

Yeah we can be a bit abrasive sometimes.
Well not me, but the others can be :lol: :lol:
Even so, they are all ok. Some of them are even very talented. We have a lot to learn from them. I know I learn a lot.

The jargon IS important. It's so we can try to understand what is going on and so we can help. Believe it or not we do like to help.

We are not Vectric employees, we are just users just like you.
The smooth and polished one's work at Vectric.

So, lets go over it one step at a time. Please don't be offended if we help you with the jargon.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Yeah we can be a bit abrasive sometimes.
Well not me, but the others can be :lol: :lol:
Yeah, as long as you don't call the rotary thingamajig an indexer. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Gary

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

Denny, I feel your pain brother.
I'm also 70 and a retired engineer.
When I bought my CNC in 2016 I didn't even know how to turn it on.
When I bought the Vectric software I was certain that I was in waaay over my head but look at me now,,I'm a wizard. :roll: :roll: :roll:
(which I think is still funny as there are MANY more qualified people on here than me)
Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing pictures of your projects and you're going to have great time in your shop
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

rgerding
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Iconic 2015

Post by rgerding »

Every time I log into this forum it makes me feel a little bit better about my progress from when I started the CNC journey up until now. I appreciate all the members and how they are willing to jump in and help even when its hard to describe one's problems. I'm 76 yrs old and probably have learned more from reading other people's problems and subsequent answers than any other method of learning this CNC stuff. Thanks to everyone who are helping us every day.
Ron
If sawdust were gold, I'd be very rich

Mark Bolton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre408PRO-10HPHSD-10posATC-WinCNC

Post by Mark Bolton »

May have missed it in the replies but could it be that he installed a new font on one computer, saved the file to the cloud or other (thumb drive) then opened the file on the other computer but the font was not installed on the second computer?