This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Re: Calling all Vectricians for our COMPETITION - Operation SMILE

Post by jfederer »

scott.rathburn wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:14 pm
...Everything was done with the VCarve Pro Software, including the board, pieces, dice ...
That is amazing. Even the dice! Would you care to share some of your techniques? Even at a glance, I can see a half dozen areas where you have produced results I can only dream of. I've mastered the location of Soss hinges, but pretty much everything else... I could use some pointers.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Rock-It & Roll-It: A FAMILY GAME

Created this marble game for the granddaughter.
Driving the Ambulance to the Cure
Driving the Ambulance to the Cure
Helping Busy Bee
Helping Busy Bee
Directions and some construction notes:
ROCK&ROLL.pdf
Construction notes
(292.55 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Enjoy,
Paul Fleming
Cobblewood Carver

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Great job Paul, I like it!!!

Thanks for sharing...
John
Maker of Chips

scott.rathburn
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster SR-23

Post by scott.rathburn »

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and all the other cool projects. Also jfederer, I'll send you a PM

Thanks again Scott

routedvector
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR6 Pro

Post by routedvector »

Made this for our first responders during this difficult time.
firstResponderFlag3.jpg
firstResponderFlag2.jpg
firstResponderFlag1.jpg

paulschultz
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Aluminum Plate R&P

Terracotta Clay Pot Holder

Post by paulschultz »

This is designed to put a smile :D on your face and to hold an 8" Terracotta Clay pot on a wall:
Flower Terracotta Pot Holder (Small).jpg
IMG_20200420_151308189.jpg
IMG_20200420_151335144.jpg

It's a lot of fun to give these away and then ask them to guess what it is! :D

Two different styles are included. One for a flat wall and one for 4" vinyl siding. Each style is on it's own layer. Details are in the notes. Preferred material is 3/4" Azek trim board. They've been very popular and greatly appreciated.

Terracotta Pot Holder.crv
(940.5 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Terracotta Pot Holder.crv3d
(946 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

paulschultz

Track Saw Guide for cutting plywood with a Skilsaw

Post by paulschultz »

:D :D
90 degree cut side shown (right side). 45 degree cut is the other side coming back in the other direction. "Joe's" CNC machine I built from plans
90 degree cut side shown (right side). 45 degree cut is the other side coming back in the other direction. "Joe's" CNC machine I built from plans

After watching many YouTube videos and not finding what I wanted I designed this in Fussion 360 and then imported the dxf files into Aspire and created the toolpaths, etc.

Let me tell you it's features:
1. Designed for a 7 1/4" cordless Milwaukee skilsaw but could be easily adapted to others.
2. Saw needs no modifications.
3. Saw rides in 1/4" deep pocket. Slides easily ("Slipit" sliding compound added, https://www.woodcraft.com/products/slip ... pound-pint)
4. One direction is 90 degree cut. The other direction is 45 degree cut.
5. Cuts on the line with sight windows so it's very easy to line up to the cut line.
6. 8' cut length w/ alignment pin for longer cuts (picture below).
7. 1/2" MDF material from single 8' x 4' sheet (about $22)
8. Easy assembly.
9. Single sided cut.
10. Overall size is 10' 1" x 14 1/2" x 3"
11. Use clamps on each end to hold it down to the plywood. I decided not to use any abrasives on the underside so as to not scratch the plywood.

IMG_20200420_195759395_MP.jpg
Blue components are connectors. I think I would eliminate these and instead use a doweling jig with 1/4" dowels.
Blue components are connectors. I think I would eliminate these and instead use a doweling jig with 1/4" dowels.
Green components are the sides which align the two halves together and give it rigidity. Pockets are .015" oversize which is perfect for a nice easy fit and for glue.
Green components are the sides which align the two halves together and give it rigidity. Pockets are .015" oversize which is perfect for a nice easy fit and for glue.
Saw rides inside this 1/4" deep pocket. Note the cut line in the hole at the bottom right. This is the 90 degree cut side. Black horizontal line at right marks where the cut begins.
Saw rides inside this 1/4" deep pocket. Note the cut line in the hole at the bottom right. This is the 90 degree cut side. Black horizontal line at right marks where the cut begins.
This is the 45 degree cut side coming back in the other direction. Cuts on the line and also has sight windows.
This is the 45 degree cut side coming back in the other direction. Cuts on the line and also has sight windows.
This is the 1/8" diameter pin to align the cut for making ninety degree cuts longer than 8'
This is the 1/8" diameter pin to align the cut for making ninety degree cuts longer than 8'

Yes it's a little bulky but it's very sturdy. I'm going to store it between my floor joists over head. Yes I could cut plywood on my CNC machine instead so I don't really need this but I like the portability to take it to a job site or the lumber yard and the ability to cut 45 degrees.

My machine has an 8 1/2' Y direction cut capacity but the plans could be easily modified for a 4' x 2' machine. Or is that 2x4? Hey, that reminds me of the time Eino went to the lumber store a couple of years ago. He told the clerk he wanted a dozen 4x2's and the clerk asked "don't you mean 2x4's?" So he said "wait a minute while I go out and ask Toivo." So after he came back he said, "Yea, 2x4's". So the clerk asked "OK, how long do you want them?". So again he said "wait a minute while I go out and ask Toivo." So after he came back he said "Where going to need them for a long time because where building a house!" :D

MR56
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1510

Post by MR56 »

Letter tiles

My wife loves word games so I decided to make this for her while we've been sheltering in place. She loved it and shared pictures of it and now our friends and family are asking me to make them for their families. I've created the entire alphabet and 0-9 so that I can quickly setup a job.
Attachments
20200416_220011.jpg
20200416_200529.jpg

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Re: Terracotta Clay Pot Holder

Post by Phil »

paulschultz wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:38 am
This is designed to put a smile :D on your face and to hold an 8" Terracotta Clay pot on a wall:
Flower Terracotta Pot Holder (Small).jpg
IMG_20200420_151308189.jpg
IMG_20200420_151335144.jpg

It's a lot of fun to give these away and then ask them to guess what it is! :D

Two different styles are included. One for a flat wall and one for 4" vinyl siding. Each style is on it's own layer. Details are in the notes. Preferred material is 3/4" Azek trim board. They've been very popular and greatly appreciated.

I would be very careful about mounting the pot holders. I had significant damage to the wall that I had an awning attached to. The screw allowed water to get into the sheathing. Doesn't sound bad but most newer homes have OSB sheathing. When water gets to OSB it acts like a sponge and spreads. It was able to cause rot to studs that the OSB was attached to.

pHIL

Terracotta Pot Holder.crv
Terracotta Pot Holder.crv3d

paulschultz

Post by paulschultz »

"Don't let the bastards grind you down!"
"Don't let the bastards grind you down!"

Here's one an old Veteran would appreciate. An old saying. My Dad had a similar sign hanging in his office for many years. He said it helped him get through a lot of difficult times. He also said the only one to ever interpret it correctly was old Dr. Jacobs!

I made a few of these for him a couple of years ago per his instructions. Old Marine that he is! :D He loved giving them away. He even gave one to our local Congressman, also an old Marine and he really liked it too.

15" x 5 3/4" x 3/4" Birdseye. Ogee edges added on the router table. Note layers for back side.

Illegitimi non carborundum.crv
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
Illegitimi non carborundum.crv3d
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 66 times

odddot
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam

Post by odddot »

A wheel

I've created this for one of my clients, and he absolutely loved it.

I hope you like it too!

It is made of layers of plywood sheets glued together and then carved out. :D
Attachments
20171129_162331.jpg
20171129_162356.jpg
20171129_162500.jpg

paulschultz

Amazing Grace by John Newton

Post by paulschultz »

14" x 11" Birdseye
14" x 11" Birdseye
This one has been very well received. An interesting fellow he was John Newton. Quite a story!

.595" thick plywood
.595" thick plywood
I made four of these for my church last year. 5' wide x 4' deep x 2' high. They slot together for easy assembly, disassembly and storage. Wood pins in sides. Top is screwed down. 3 1/2 sheets of plywood for each one. They are rock solid. 4 Sides + 2 piece top + 4 internal components. Alpha symbol on the left and Omega symbol on the right. Dove and Cross cut outs on the 4' sides.

Will be happy to share these if anyone is interested even if they don't win. But, of course, if one of them does win the Vectric staff will make them even better I'm sure! :D

paulschultz

Recipe Box

Post by paulschultz »

1/2" MDF unfinished
1/2" MDF unfinished
Recipe Box2.jpg
Fussion 360 rendering
Fussion 360 rendering
Recipe_Box_2020-Apr-21_05-34-25PM-000_CustomizedView5650625461.jpg

I made this for my wife last week. I took inspiration from the Paradise Box but it's a completely different design and size. I customized the size to fit in our small kitchen cabinet and to hold her recipes. It's a simple, functional project with simple butt joints glued with 22 gauge pins. This one was the prototype, I'll make her a nice one out of birdseye soon. Front has a slight angle for cosmetics. Inside dimensions are 6 1/4" wide x 6 1/2" deep x 4 1/2" high. Note extra height inside for recipe indexes.

Sorry but I'm unable to attach the Aspire file because "File too large". :(

paulschultz

Music Box

Post by paulschultz »

:D
2" x 2" x 2" cube. 1/2" Birdseye
2" x 2" x 2" cube. 1/2" Birdseye
I designed these a few years ago and made about a dozen.

The really cool part is this:
IMG_20200421_131136425.jpg
IMG_20200421_131154277.jpg
Yea, they come apart! It really blows people away when you show them because they can't tell that it comes apart. It's nearly impossible for most people to figure out how to open it but once you know how it's very easy. The music people in my life really love these! Note the magnets in the picture. 1/4". Those were done by hand with a fostner bit. I bought some key rings from Amazon to attach keys.

As you can see, It has a small compartment inside you can store money in. Originally I designed this to hold a Tile. That's a Verizon device that connects to your cell phone via Bluetooth to find lost items and it works well. The "Pocket Holes" toolpath is designed to let the sound from the Tile out and the "pocket" toolpath is designed to hold the tile so they're not really needed. Verizon has since came out with newer, better models of their Tile but their a little bigger and no longer fit. My inspiration for this project was to hide them inside a cube so that if someone stole your vehicle they wouldn't know you have a secret way to track it. Yes, I also hid some on the vehicle itself but because of the nature of the Bluetooth I felt this was a better theft deterrent, etc.

This is a double sided project. Cut the "Music" side first. The trickiest part of this project was holding the material down for the 90 degree V bit profile cuts. I used the method of painters tape on the material and also on the table and gluing them together with Fastcap 2P-10. This isn't required on the "Music" side. That worked well but that stuff is really noxious and caused me breathing and vision problems. So much so that I purchased a large 3M full face mask which worked excellent. An easier method I've subsequently discovered is to clamp a sacrificial MDF spoilboard down and use 22 gauge pin nails through the material and into the 1/2" MDF. The carbide bits will zip right through them without even noticing.

Each of the two cube halves consist of 3 pieces glued together. Gluing these pieces together without gluing the two halves together requires a bit of care and perhaps a UHMW plastic jig would be very helpful. Then some light sanding on the mating edges after the glue dries then add Slipit sliding compound.

I believe the 90 degree Vbit profiling toolpaths could be improved by changing it to a V-carve / engraving toolpath into rectangles without a cut depth. Maybe various rectangles for X & Y directions. Rectangle width = cut depth I believe for a 90 degree V-bit, is that right? So then a clamp strategy could be employed by cutting one direction first then moving the clamps then cutting in the other direction.

I'm against gambling so please don't turn this into dice. Anyway... have fun with this and God Bless! :D

Music Box, Vectric.crv3d
(251.5 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Music Box, Vectric.crv
(245.5 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

When I first started this model, I didn’t know what it would become. I have new software for 3d modeling, Shapr3d on the iPad. I like it. For some reason I maybe saw a picture of the Brooklyn Bridge and started to model it as an exercise. When I went looking for drawings, I found the original design prints in the National Archives. I used it to build the 3d model of the bridge.

I live in New York State, 35 miles north of NYC. I went to college at Manhattan College in the Bronx, my wife was born and raised in NYC, and many of her family lived there. The city has been hard hit again with this tragedy. But, NYC endures, it gets torn down and rebuilt always and all ways. What better symbol to represent that endurance then the beautiful Brooklyn Bridge?

Tech details: Live edge Sugar Maple. 1/16” TBN, offset program. Hot Linwax finish.

Thanks for looking!
Attachments
47654BD3-0C37-40AE-AA53-3CA2231D631D.jpeg
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz