A few small projects

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
DHDeitrick
Model of CNC Machine: Maverick 3 x 5

A few small projects

Post by DHDeitrick »

Have been trying to learn more about Aspire and other software during the current downtime. Here are a few small things I have done. I think the signs need to be bigger to get more detail with these particular models.
Attachments
Knobs were 3D printed
Knobs were 3D printed
SolLunarBox-PrintedKnobsTop.jpeg
SolLunarBoxPrintedKnobs-Open.jpeg
I think these would look better if they were a little bigger
I think these would look better if they were a little bigger
I think these would look better if they were a bit bigger
I think these would look better if they were a bit bigger

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: A few small projects

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you for showing us the pics of your projects, Dave! All look great!

The next time you do a VCarve-style sign, you may want to cut a little shallower to help keep the lettering separate and not quite so bold. You can set a Flat Depth in your VCarve Toolpath settings to keep the Bit from going too deep. Run a Toolpath Preview to monitor what different Flat depth settings may look like. Some VCarve jobs don’t need a Flat Depth - just depends on the job, bit angle, vector gaps, etc.

Thanks again for sharing the photos!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

meflick
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by meflick »

mtylerfl wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:03 am
Thank you for showing us the pics of your projects, Dave! All look great!

The next time you do a VCarve-style sign, you may want to cut a little shallower to help keep the lettering separate and not quite so bold. You can set a Flat Depth in your VCarve Toolpath settings to keep the Bit from going too deep. Run a Toolpath Preview to monitor what different Flat depth settings may look like. Some VCarve jobs don’t need a Flat Depth - just depends on the job, bit angle, vector gaps, etc.

Thanks again for sharing the photos!
Michael - could you give some idea as to how much of a flat depth generally is good when trying to do this. I think this may be an issue I am having. I will play around with it but your insight would be beneficial. Thank you for pointing this out.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Melanie,

There are so many variables, it’s hard to make a specific recommendation for a Flat Depth amount.

For vcarving small lettering and certain designs with narrow gaps between the closed vector shapes, no Flat Depth may be needed at all. For “bigger-gapped” vcarving, a Flat Depth will stop the V-Bit from carving too deep and is often desirable. Also, the bit angle determines depth between vector gaps, as well (a 60-degree Bit will reach deeper than a 90-degree Bit, for example).

This is where your Toolpath Preview comes in so handily. You can experiment to your heart’s content with various bit assignments and Flat Depths until you visually confirm which bit and settings look best to you before actually carving.

I always start with no Flat Depth to begin with, run a preview and then go back and adjust settings, if necessary, then preview again until satisfied. (Conversely, on very delicate design/engravings, I may also specify a small Start Depth to make allowance for final sanding after running the job so that thin, delicate engraved lines and sharp points don’t disappear during sanding,)

FYI, I set my Z-Zero to the Top surface of the material for the vast majority of my vcarving projects.

Anyway, if you have a specific project you’ve had trouble with and need some help, I will be happy to look at it for you and make some specific recommendations.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Post by Todd Bailey »

These are so cool!!! Thanks for sharing all of them.

Love that you gave the VCarving of the coloring page a try and it worked out OK. I agree a bit larger may make it look a bit less bold... but still nice as it is!

Again thanks so much for sharing!!!

Todd
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

meflick
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by meflick »

Thank you Michael for taking the time to give a detailed explanation. I didn't get to mess with it again yet. Maybe today.

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

I like the way the box top opens
Thank You
Doug