Edge lit greatest hits

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Edge lit greatest hits

Post by scottp55 »

Sorry Doug,
Got sidetracked.....Yep..Betsy deserves a monument for so many great carves!

That last one was a Great find. :)
DARN..It started a New Page...Almost wanted to delete post. :oops:

Guess I like that style ever since I saw reverse gem carvings in Tucson and Santa Fe...and your reverse cuts remind me of them :)
Everything from $5,000 Quartz;
2020-02-16 03_50_49-Harper and Faye_ Reverse Intaglio Crystal Quartz Carving (unset)_ _Moon Hunter_.jpg
To Smithsonian pieces that take megabucks investment and then years to cut(I'D be like him and drop it, and wind up with 3 pieces(this was the largest one))
2020-02-16 03_50_20-Smithsonian to unveil world's largest aquamarine gem at nearly 5 pounds, more th.jpg

Love those pieces Doug!! :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

What’s the best way to get rid of small scratches on the uncut part (faces) of the acrylic? I know some suppliers sell scratch repair products.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

BillK wrote:What’s the best way to get rid of small scratches on the uncut part (faces) of the acrylic? I know some suppliers sell scratch repair products.

I've had no luck with scratch repair products, I know what you are talking about, Nouve or something like that. For me they were alot of labor, messy, ineffective and expensive. Also, I did alot of plexi and also needed something to make the edges clear, its not feasible to use this stuff for production.
My method is buffing, for light scratches like this buffing alone should work, I have a rough wheel and finish wheel and use buffing compound for both, a good buffing will obliterate these marks and you'll never be able to tell they were there. For heavier scratches [and for the freshly cut edges] I sand them out, can use an orbital or mouse sander, start at 120 grit then 240 or something like that, then buffing will smooth out everything to a factory finish. Some people might think OMG, can't sand plexiglas that will leave marks ! ,,, And that is exactly the case, the sanding gets rid of the scratch, the buffing gets rid of the scratches from the sanding.

Downside is, to do it properly and if you do it alot, an investment is needed. I spent around $600 to get a top of the line Baldor floor mounted buffer after trying cheaper handheld solutions that didn't work, very good investment. But for occasional light use, scratch repair product and/or small handheld buffer might do the trick, not everyone has the $$ or motivation to sink $100's into a dedicated buffer.
Doug

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

Thanks Doug, I will have to give buffing a try.

On the edges, I have had good success using a well sharpened card scraper. I haven’t actually had to clean a scratch on a face, yet. I’ll give buffing a try with a cutoff to see how it works.

Thanks again.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I'll toss in a very lithos I did of famous people, all one offs.
Really don't remember selling them and am pretty sure I no longer have them, not sure what happened to them.
Picture4 046.jpg
Picture4 045.jpg
Picture4 043.jpg
Doug