Wooden top for bandsaw

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Wooden top for bandsaw

Post by TReischl »

Finally watched the video, yup, that is what I was trying to explain. Not sure how one looks at the blade on the top of the wheel and determines the bottom of the gullet is on the exact center of the wheel though. I just tweak that tracking knob until it cuts straight so I guess it must be centered at that point.

I have become very leery of all the experts in woodworking. Turns out a lot of them are just passing along old, wrong, information. Here is an interesting one, we all know that wearing a long sleeved shirt around the table saw will allow the blade to catch the sleeve and potentially cut your arm off. We all know that because we have heard it forever. Watched a guy on YouTube give that one a test (without his arm in the sleeve). Turns out he had a hard time even getting the blade to cut it much less grab it and rip it out of his hands. The breeze coming off the blade kept blowing it away. Besides all that, the blade would easily cut the cloth not grab it. Now, a lathe? Way different story. . . .
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

TReischl wrote:Finally watched the video, yup, that is what I was trying to explain. Not sure how one looks at the blade on the top of the wheel and determines the bottom of the gullet is on the exact center of the wheel though. I just tweak that tracking knob until it cuts straight so I guess it must be centered at that point.

I have become very leery of all the experts in woodworking. Turns out a lot of them are just passing along old, wrong, information. Here is an interesting one, we all know that wearing a long sleeved shirt around the table saw will allow the blade to catch the sleeve and potentially cut your arm off. We all know that because we have heard it forever. Watched a guy on YouTube give that one a test (without his arm in the sleeve). Turns out he had a hard time even getting the blade to cut it much less grab it and rip it out of his hands. The breeze coming off the blade kept blowing it away. Besides all that, the blade would easily cut the cloth not grab it. Now, a lathe? Way different story. . . .
Most modern bandsaws have a window to view the position of the blade on the top wheel, mine does anyhow.

Bandsaw is a very safe tool, you'd really have to be a bumbling klutz to seriously hurt yourself using one - Just remember not to carelessly run your fingers into the blade and you should be Ok. Fast rotating power tools on the other hand are always inherently dangerous.
Doug

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

When I was in junior high school we had a well respected wood shop teacher cut the tip of a finger off on the bandsaw. Always made me very leery of them and extra careful.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

BillK wrote:When I was in junior high school we had a well respected wood shop teacher cut the tip of a finger off on the bandsaw. Always made me very leery of them and extra careful.
Sure, be careful, that goes without saying - You can lose fingers slamming them in car doors too.
Doug

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Ted as Xxray says there are windows so you can see, although I am not very tall so have to stand on something to be able to see properly :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seems to have done a pretty good job though as although I am new to this I have cut a couple of pieces, just small so far about 6 inch square, one piece of 40mm beech into 3 x 12mm pieces & each piece seems to be flat & parallel & one piece of sycamore about the same size that I took 2 x 1.5mm slices off. Again they seem to be pretty good size wise. I don't intend to cut really long boards down as most of what I do is quite small which means I can cut a shorter length off a long board & then resaw that.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

My bandsaw is modern. . . . only about 30 years old. It even has an electric motor! But no windows, I have to open the door on the top to see what is going on.

I did cut a hole in the bottom door to add a second dust port a long time ago, that works really well.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

TReischl wrote:My bandsaw is modern. . . . only about 30 years old. It even has an electric motor! But no windows, I have to open the door on the top to see what is going on.

I did cut a hole in the bottom door to add a second dust port a long time ago, that works really well.
Sounds like most of the stuff I have Ted, was looking at buying an old(er) bandsaw & then refurbishing it but to be honest as I have limited time with my illness I don't want to be doing that anymore, had that bandsaw in & out the basket for months before I finally hit checkout :lol: :lol:

This machine has dual dust extraction so no need for me to cut holes :lol: :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Martin, you are living large!

My oldest machine is a 1946 Delta lathe. The only machine in the shop that is older than me. The thing has style.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

TReischl wrote:Martin, you are living large!

My oldest machine is a 1946 Delta lathe. The only machine in the shop that is older than me. The thing has style.
Haha, my Zyto Lathe might just trump that by a year or two, not 100% sure about the date of manufacture, still works ok though for what I need. :lol: :lol: :lol: