Need bit help

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
lestes
Model of CNC Machine: axiom pro a6 v5

Need bit help

Post by lestes »

I just got my new Aziom AR6 V5 up and going. I'm ready to make something.
I ordered my bits from Axiom when I ordered my machine.
I have one each of the following: .25 down cut, .125 down cut, 1.25 surface, .5 core box, .0625 taper ball, 18 degree V bit, 90 degree V bit, .25 alum 0 flute up cut, .125 alum 0 flute up cut, .25 plastic 0 flute up cut and .125 plastic 0 flute up cut,
My question is what other bits am I going to need to add to my tool library to do general CRC projects? What other bits do all of you use?
Thanks

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Re: Need bit help

Post by dealguy11 »

You can do a tremendous number of projects with what you have. You might consider adding a 1/8" tapered ballnose. Others disagree with me on this, but I rarely go to smaller ballnose bits unless people will be looking at the work very closely.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

lestes

Post by lestes »

I forgot to mention that these are all AMANA bits. I have had good luck with AMANA in my other woodworking. Do any of you have favorite brands and/or a source?

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

.25 dia Spiral 2 flute Endmill UPCUT and mayb a .125 dia. also

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

If you intend to cut many parts out of plywood, I'd highly recommend a compression bit. This bit will reduce tear out on both the top and bottom face veneer layers.

Personally, I like Onsrud bits, although I've used some Amana bits with good success. I like the face that Onsrud publishes comprehensive chip load values for their bits in many materials. This gives you a good starting point instead of having to take a wild ass guess as to what feed rate to use.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I couldn't get by without very small tapered ballnose for 3D work, down to a 1/32 - I can get details as fine an individual hairs and raindrops doing lithos and plexi that are simply impossible with larger tips. I also like small diameter endmills for some jobs where .25 is just way too much, so much depends on the type of work you will be doing. One thing stands true, you cannot possibly have too many bits, and when you develop favorites for your applications, get 5 more of them before you forget where you got them from because breakage and normal wear are just facts of life that we must deal with via redundancy.

Amana is a great source as is Onsrud, these guys are often my go to for quality USA made bits https://www.precisebits.com/
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I'd wait a bit and maybe make some of the free Vectric products that interest you just to get your feet wet.
I bought a lot of bits when first starting, and many rarely get used because I eventually focused on Small and Tiny stuff....and then bought those bits.
Doug is right in saying once you find a bit that works well for your particular projects....buy a few of them!

I'd concentrate on getting a feel for my bits I had, and tweaking feeds/speeds for cut quality You want...while bit stays close to room temp.
This may help?;
https://www.precisebits.com/tutorials/c ... speeds.htm

A LOT depends on what you are going to be doing.
Have fun!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

↑↑↑↑↑↑

What Scott said....
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Since I still consider myself learning although I've been at this for over a year, I extensively use a 60 Degree V bit for many Vcarve projects. Sometimes I use the 45 Degree. I see you have the 90 Degree, which is also a good one. But as other have said... it all really depends on what kind of projects you plan to do. General covers a lot. One thing you didn't mention is the length of your end mills. Of course I use the .25 end mill a lot to weed out the large areas of pockets and 3D rough... and it is usually the 1" length since most of my boards are around .75"... but I ran into trying to do thicker boards... and I needed to purchase a .25 EM that has a 4" cut. Hope some of this helps.

lestes

Post by lestes »

I never thought about cut length. Good suggestion. I uploaded one of the "project of the month" files and found I didn't have the recommended bit. I thought while I was buying that bit I might as well order some other bits that you users recommend. I will probably order some of the ones suggested and then let my projects determine what I need.
Thanks much for your input.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Amana has a Vectric tool library on their website that you can download and then use the import option in the tool Database to load the file. Here's their webpage: https://www.amanatool.com/view-amana-to ... ic-library.

I agree with others that you can add bits as you find they fit your needs. I have a set of Amana bits that I haven't even touched. That's because I already have those that I need for use and the others will just stay in the box until needed. Be sure to ground your CNC and use dust collection. Regular maintenance will help it run without problems and give you lots of hours of fun. At some point you may want to consider collets and collet nuts. I use marine anti-freeze in my coolant as recommended by Axiom folks. Gallon jug at WM is cheap. Good luck and join the Axiom Proboard forum.

milo30
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese ATC 4X8 with Centroid Acorn

Post by milo30 »

I like Whiteside bits. Amana are good but can be expensive. I find Whiteside just a little less and they last a long time if you don't do something stupid and break one. I bought the Amana set which I believe is the same one you got. It was a good price but I really don't use most of the bits. You need to decide what you are going to be cutting. 99% of the stuff that I do, I need a large surfacing bit, 1/4 downcut endmill, 1/4 upcut endmill, 1/4 60 deg vbit and 1/2 90 deg vbit. 1/8 end mill.

Don't go crazy buying bits until you learn what you need for whatever work you are going to do. Then try to get atleast 2 of each that you are going to use because it sucks to break one in the middle of a job or have it just get too dull to use and have to wait for a replacement to come in.

Ollie
Model of CNC Machine: Custom built machine using UCCNC

Post by Ollie »

I will add a little of my experience so far with router bits and cnc.
I already had many router bits when I got my CNC machine so started with them really. Mostly if they work in a normal router they will be fine in a CNC its all about the speed.

I have bought a few specialized bits that I think are worth it.
As mentioned before compression bits are excellent for plywood and I use them for cutting out most things on hardwoods as well. 4mm is my favourite for stuff up to 20mm, 6mm for thicker stuff.
For engraving I (in wood and HDPE) the cheap ebay solid carbide 30degree bits are great for small stuff.
I also bought a set of bits for engraving by FOOS (they are on amazon) these are really very good indeed there is 60 degree, 90 degree ,15 degree and a great 15 degree one with a flat tip that is great for lettering. Also very cheap.
A few different sizes of ballnose twin flutes is handy too.
For material removal you can just use a standard 2 flute woodworking bit 12.7mm worktop bits are always very cheap and work great.

I have found brand names can be overrated in this area. Of course whiteside are very good bits indeed but unless you need something very specific probably not worth the premium. I have had good luck with stuff from China/ Taiwan and for the prices its worth a try mostly.

Buy bits as you find you need them, you will soon have too many !!

Ollie

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

lestes wrote:My question is what other bits am I going to need to add to my tool library to do general CRC projects?
My only advice for all “what bits should I buy" questions has to be: buy the best tool you can afford—when you need it.

Steven

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

If you need smaller (1/8" shank) lookup drillman1 on eBay. His Kyocera bits are cheap and good